Was there ever an L46 Mannlicher Carbine?

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by icebear, Jan 29, 2019.

1. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Have any of you ever seen or heard of an L46 Mannlicher-style carbine? The full-length, full-stock rifle is fairly common, but I have never seen or heard of a carbine-length L46 in .222 or any other caliber. An L469, yes - I have one in .222 Magnum. But not an actual L46. Anybody know if such a thing exists?

Here's an L469 carbine in .222 Magnum. It has the late style stock with the raised cheekpiece. I suspect this is pretty rare - anybody know how many L469 carbines were made?
    L469-222 Mag 1.JPG L469-222 Mag 3.JPG

2. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Yeah there are a few L46 Fullwood carbines in this neck of the woods. Not super common but they pop up from time to time. Below is my warhorse in .222. Its shot some stuff in its time! I really like the 20 inch barrel.
    Goat2.jpg L46 grunters.jpg Riihimaki warhorse.JPG RiihimakiGoat.jpg

ricksengines likes this.
  3. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Thanks Tops, looks like you've taken some game with that one! I'll be on the lookout now that I know the L46 carbine exists.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    IIRC, they came with both 20" & 24" bbls and two piece & one piece stocks. If I haven't "misremembered" there is photographic evidence here somewhere.

5. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    This could be some of the worst news you could hear, but I bought one in a 218 Bee. When I got it, the stock had been broken at the wrist and the rear Sako ring was dented...

thumbnail_DSCN4559.jpg thumbnail_DSCN4563.jpg thumbnail_DSCN4565.jpg

6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Ouch!!!! Is that the long barrel version? Cardboard boxes don't offer much protection, but as hard as that got hit I'm not sure anything would have helped short of a steel box.

7. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Sorry to see this. Another rare one is damaged by careless packaging and handling during shipping evidently. Hope that you can recover some of the loss and might be fortunate enough to find a replacement stock. I found long ago that the best investment is to pay the seller for insured shipment in a hard case. Sakojim.

8. Tomball

Tomball Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Kirk, has this stock been repaired or is this a new occurrence?

9. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Poor packaging can result in scratches and bruises, but abuse like that is the fault of the shipping company. At the very best it demonstrates gross negligence and at the worst it is the result of intentional and malicious depredation.

I beg shippers not to use UPS since (1) the incidence of broken guns appears higher than with Fedex or the Postal Service, and (2) I've had absolutely no success in getting UPS to pay anything on insured damaged goods. "Faulty packaging" is always what they come back with when denying a claim -- even when the forklift tracks across the mangled box hint at something else. Regardless of what kind of "protection" you attempt to surround a gun with -- bubble wrap, foam-lined case, triple box -- nothing can withstand running over it with a forklift.

10. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    This had to go to some warehouse in Georgia for analysis for insurance. They paid off and kept the gun. I wanted to get the remains and resurrect it, but they didn’t answer any emails...