Warhorse

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by Coleman Cowboy, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Coleman Cowboy

Coleman Cowboy Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Warhorse noun

Definition:

1: a horse used in war: a charger

2: a person with long experience in a field (i.e. a veteran soldier)

A number of members here have impressive collections of Sakos. Some are old, some are new, most are somewhere in-between. Some are pristine and unfired, others have been battered badly, many simply show honest wear in caring hands. I believe that my humble assortment of Sakos are solidly in this latter camp: all are used and all are cared for…and (like their owner) some are showing their age and mileage!

If I had to point to ONE rifle in my possession (regardless of manufacturer) that has earned the title of “Warhorse”, it would have to be my old Safari Grade .375. I ordered her back in the ‘80s, when thoughts of Africa occupied many (most?) of my waking hours. It would be a number of years before I would make that dream a reality, but in the meantime the rifle and I got acquainted…both on the range and in the field. I carried the rifle several seasons in the Texas Hill Country where it took a number of deer and hogs…and even one wild turkey!

With a huntress for a bride, it hasn’t been a huge surprise that we’ve since made several trips to Africa…and that old .375 has been along on every one of them. It has accounted for buffalo, sable, kudu, roan, eland and waterbuck.

For years it wore a McMillan PH fiberglass stock that I’d had the barreled actioned bedded into, until I finally discovered (in Zambia of all places) that I’d worn the Pachmayr pad so smooth it wouldn’t stay put on my shoulder anymore! Accordingly, I’ve refinished the original stock and I’ll carry it in Texas again this season.

The rifle carries the evidence of thirty years of serious use. Miles of carrying have worn most of the blue from the front edges of the floorplate. A rainstorm on an exposed baggage cart at the New Orleans airport (and a small leak in my otherwise bulletproof gun case) resulted in a small patch of rust just ahead of the caliber roll-markings (discovered two days later when we unpacked in Zimbabwe). The quarter rib beginning to loosen a bit required addressing (and the addition of a couple of set screws for insurance).

It’s not as shiny as it once was, but I know that rifle like the proverbial “back of my hand”. It’s earned every mark and every blemish and it’s never given me a single reason to cuss it.

A warhorse. Yeah, that fits…

Mark

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region: