Ward's Western Field Sako

Discussion in 'Other firearms built on Sako actions' started by icebear, Jul 23, 2020.

1. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    This just closed on Gunbroker. I was planning to bid, but changed my mind because of the stock. I've seen numerous photos of the Wards/Sako L57 rifles and every one of them has had a checkered stock. This one just doesn't look right to me - not only the lack of checkering, but the finish and the shape of the buttstock.. Has anyone seen a Western Field L57 with a stock like this?

The three-digit serial number is cool.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/874139514

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    That stock is a rather amateurish replacement. The barrel is missing the rear sight which was mounted on an aluminum band circling the barrel. The original stock would have been inletted for the sight band. They did, however, retain the front sight which is also mounted on an aluminum band slipped over the muzzle and wedged onto the taper of the barrel.

These rifles, like the Sears J.C. Higgins Model 52 on the L46 action and many of the standard grade Coltsman rifles, appear to have been made by a company (or manufacturing subsidiary) called the Jefferson Rifle Company operating in the old High Standard facility across the street from Colt in Hartford.

3. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Thanks, that confirms my suspicions and adds good new info that I didn't know. The barreled action would have made the basis for a nice custom, but I've got more projects already than I can possibly finish.