• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Ward's Western Field Sako

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

icebear

Sako-addicted
This just closed on Gunbroker. I was planning to bid, but changed my mind because of the stock. I've seen numerous photos of the Wards/Sako L57 rifles and every one of them has had a checkered stock. This one just doesn't look right to me - not only the lack of checkering, but the finish and the shape of the buttstock.. Has anyone seen a Western Field L57 with a stock like this?

The three-digit serial number is cool.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/874139514

That stock is a rather amateurish replacement. The barrel is missing the rear sight which was mounted on an aluminum band circling the barrel. The original stock would have been inletted for the sight band. They did, however, retain the front sight which is also mounted on an aluminum band slipped over the muzzle and wedged onto the taper of the barrel.

These rifles, like the Sears J.C. Higgins Model 52 on the L46 action and many of the standard grade Coltsman rifles, appear to have been made by a company (or manufacturing subsidiary) called the Jefferson Rifle Company operating in the old High Standard facility across the street from Colt in Hartford.

Thanks, that confirms my suspicions and adds good new info that I didn't know. The barreled action would have made the basis for a nice custom, but I've got more projects already than I can possibly finish.

Back