Finnwolf VL63 Vl63 Finnwolf does not like modern SIG

Discussion in 'Sako Finnwolf VL63 lever actions' started by prowler, Nov 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. prowler

prowler Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    I had an interesting experience deer hunting where I tried SIG Sauer modern plastic tipped shells in my VL63 .308. No disrespect to SIG but the extra length on these plastic tipped bullets increased the length just enough that they snagged when ejecting the unshot round when I was emptying my gun. A round got jammed in the back part of the action and would not release the unfired round. Lesson learned to not use modern rounds that are longer. Had to have a gun smith remove the round cause it seemed like a dangerous situation.

2. chip sayers

chip sayers Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    When I first reloaded for the 308 finnwolf my first round was at max oal. Wouldn't come out and the extractor had a monster grip on it. So a quick trip to the range and I fired 1 round to get out of the gun. I now have 2 different cartridge lengths for 308. Gotta play around with setting depth until it will extract. Didn’t have problem with 243 finnwolf.

3. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I had the same problem with an early L46 in .222 shooting Winchester 40-grain ammo with plastic tips. The rounds wouldn't even go in the magazine; I had to single load them. Accuracy was excellent, but the loaded rounds were just too long. I have not miked them to see if they exceed the SAAMI OAL for the caliber.