Vixen Mannlicher

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by Tracy Redpath, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Tracy Redpath

Tracy Redpath Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Well after thinking about it for a week i pulled the trigger on this (pun intended). You guys said i needed it and who am i to argue with that. Traded a few guns in for the .222 mag. And after hearing me complaining that Leupold doesn't make glossy scopes anymore he looks in his gunsmiths Stash of scopes and hands it to me and says Merry Christmas. A question for you guys is who knows the twist rate of a L461 Vixen 1-10,12,14 wondering if these bullets will stabilize .TIA. DSC02371.JPG Gun on top is a A1 Deluxe in .222 Remington DSC02369.JPG DSC02370.JPG

deergoose, FLT, icebear and 3 others like this.

2. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Looks like you did get the carbine version. If you can't find any original Sako rings, go with the Leopold rings. Those optilocs are just to big and clunky looking. Did you talk him down any on price? Nice looking rifle by the way.

3. Tracy Redpath

Tracy Redpath Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Yes he did come down in price

4. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Nice looking rifle, and makes a great pair with the Deluxe. Looks like what you need now is a set of original type Sako high rings - that adjustable objective looks too big for the medium. Or if you want QD so you can play with the iron sights, look around for a secondhand set of Warne QD rings. Discontinued, but you can find them on eBay or Gunbroker, or various online bulletin boards.

5. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Two beautiful rifles there, Tracy! Congrats!

PM me if you want a set of either Sako or Leupold rings.

6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    IIRC, the twist on the Sako 222's is 1 in 14" or the metric equivalent. You can just measure it to be certain. All you need is a cleaning rod, tight patch, & a measuring tape. A 10 twist "might" stabilize the Hornady 68 Gr. BTHP, but I know for certain a 9 twist will at 223 velocities. Your Sakos will perform much better with traditional weight bullets or even with the newer 40 gr. plastic tipped pills than the heavy stuff.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    FLT likes this.
  7. Tracy Redpath

Tracy Redpath Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    I looked up twist ratios on something yesterday and it said most .22 caliber rifles are 1 in 14. So i figured 55-60 is tops

8. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    A 14 twist will struggle to stabilize some of the very long boat-tail plastic tipped bullets of 55 grains or more at 222 velocities. Regular cup & core 55 grainers should work fine. Remember it's length & velocity, not weight, that determines twist requirements. Standard twist for the 222 Rem is 14. The SAAMI spec for the 223 Rem is 12, but many guns come from the factory with a 9 twist because of the "heavy" bullet insanity currently in vogue. The Hornet was a 16 twist, the Swift was 14, & the 22-250 came with a 12 & 14 depending on the maker. It's always a good idea to measure each rifle.

9. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Wow! What an elegant rifle. You must be chuffed