Vixen L461 .223 Insurance Value

Discussion in 'Valuation Corner' started by Baxter_Spritely, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Baxter_Spritely

Baxter_Spritely Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    My wife just inherited a Sako Vixen .223 and we want to add it to our scheduled guns on our homeowner's insurance. I've looked around here and on some auction sites to try to get a handle on value, but it seems to vary widely based on many things, some of which I don't understand since I'm new to this Sako thing.

I've attached pictures of serial number and other marks on the gun. Anyone able to offer some guidance? I'm not looking for sale value, but insurance coverage.

After reading some of these threads I'm excited to get out and shoot it. She seems to have gotten a nice piece. 20181224_215415.jpg 20181224_215547.jpg 20181224_215426.jpg

2. Branxhunter

Branxhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Can't help you with value, but they are very interesting scope rings - the bases look like Sako, with the top of the rings hinged on the LHS

Marcus

3. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Not enough detailed pictures, but if representative of entire rifle, I'd value it @1000.00 USD for replacement value.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Insurance companies will depreciate any value you place on it & come up with every excuse possible to not honor your claim, regardless. Just my humble opinion & speaking from experience, but insurance premiums on $1000 guns is not a good use of your hard earned money. After a few years you will have paid for the gun again, anyway. Better to spend it on a good quality fireproof safe.

Unclekax and stonecreek like this.
  5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Exactly! A friend-of-a-friend lost a half dozen guns in a burglary a few years ago. The guy had a good record of the guns with models, serial numbers, and descriptions. He got Rodger at SakoSource to provide him with an appraisal and approximate age of each gun. Since the guns were all between 15 and 25 years old the insurance company declined to pay anything, saying that all of the guns were completely "depreciated" and therefore worthless.

Items scheduled on an insurance policy are treated a little differently, but insurance companies will still require an appraisal before paying. I've found the premiums for scheduled property to be way out of line with its value. As Paulson says, spend your money on safekeeping, not on making bets with insurance bookies who always skew the line in their own favor.

Besides, insurance is to offset a loss which you cannot reasonably absorb. By definition, if the rifle is inherited then it cannot represent a net loss, so why assure a partial loss (which is what the insurance premium is) by insuring it?

6. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Those are Spanish-made rings which have a hinge on one side of the ring caps and two screws on the other side. Otherwise, they look just like the Sako factory rings. The two cap screws are very small diameter, so care should be taken not to break or strip them.

I've seen a number of these on the Dickson-Howa copy of the Sako L61R; so many, in fact, that there has to be some connection between them.

7. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Agree with the two votes above. A third vote for a quality gun safe which is fire proof. Dirt bag burglars are after stuff they can grab and run with. A quality safe is by far the best way to store firearms, as well as other valuables. A good safe takes tools and time to break into. Burglars rarely bring tools required to breech a safe. My safes are bolted through the floor as well. An alarm system is another feature which most burglars don’t want to mess with. Statistics show if there is an alarm sign posted in the yard, or on doors and windows, burglars will move on. Alarm systems are cheap and very easy to install. Beware of dog signs are also very effective. Make your home a very difficult target.
    The rifle in of itself is a harder one to find these days. I bought in Bend Oregon a couple of years ago. Mine might not be as clean as your wife’s. I gladly paid $900.00 for mine as I wanted a shooter for the pickup and the quad. As stated above more photos would help but I also agree somewhere between $1000.00-1200.00 is a ballpark number, but again these are harder to locate.

8. Rick Omohundro

Rick Omohundro Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Tennessee
    I agree on the safe, best insurance you can get. Get a good one. That is a premium you only have to pay once.
    If you do want insurance contact Sportsman’s Insurance agency in Florida. If you have a claim they will pay without the shenanigans of your homeowners company, probably more reasonable too.
    Good luck,and enjoy that rifle!
    Rick

9. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Yep, about a $1000 I'd say. Rifle made in late '60s to early '70s.

DeerGoose

10. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Another vote for using the money to invest in a good safe, added benefit for securing important papers and other valuables

11. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    This is not the case with all insurance companies. I have Safeco Homeowners and I have the contents of my home insured for a stated value that will cover the guns. It is nowhere near as expensive as a separate rider for the guns. I still have them in a safe as most of my guns are not replaceable in today's market, so I want as much protection as I can get.

Check out Safeco and don't self insure unless you can sustain a complete loss...

12. marlin92

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Safeco is part of liberty mutual and their customer rating isn't the greatest. Curious if you ever placed a claim with them and if the policy you have is an umbrella policy.
    thanks

13. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana

Where do I start?

New roof, house and storage bldgs, hail damage
    New siding, house and storage bldgs. hail damaged
    New floor in kitchen for leak from dishwasher.
    Replaced binoculars, money and wallet stolen from my person on a train in Italy
    Replace leather bomber jacket stolen from my truck
    Replaced 2 flyrods and reels lost out of the back of my truck

Who rates these companies and how is another story, if this is poor service, I am easily satisfied...

14. marlin92

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Thanks - sure a lot has to do with the agent/agency you deal with. Just a lot of folks on the internet that did reviews seemed to have issues when claims were filed, so was wondering.

15. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Insurance policies and how insurance companies are regulated vary from state to state. It is possible that Montana's HO insurance forms are more friendly to the insured than some states. For instance, my HO insurance has a deductible equal to 1% of the value of the home on any loss, meaning that most of the items Kirk lists wouldn't meet the deductible even if they were covered. With the 1% deductible the more insurance you buy the less you get! Of course, you can buy down the deductible (to an even $1,000), for an extra annual premium of about the same as the deductible:mad:.

16. Baxter_Spritely

Baxter_Spritely Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Thank you all for the help. I'll definitely look into getting a safe. I can't wait for the weather to turn decent so I can try it out and actually experience the Sako.