Vintage Scope

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by douglastwo, Mar 7, 2021.

1. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I've been on the lookout for a vintage scope to put on one of my early 60's L461, and found a WeaverV7 2.5x7 Duplex with Micro-Trac. Other than a few old rimfires with scopes from the 50's and one 6x I bought new in the 60's, I have little experience with weavers. What is Micro-Trac and what can you tell me about the quality of this old 2.5x7. I'm just looking to rig up my 461 like my Dad would. He spent the money for Sakos, but not so much for scopes. Thanks and don't hold back.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Weaver didn't have the very best lenses, but they were usually clear enough and provided adequate resolution. What Weaver did offer was an excellent reticle adjustment with accurate and repeatable movement. The steel tubes were also tough, with a blued finish, not an enamel or anodized coating like on an aluminum tube. The bluing, like any bluing, could wear, but it could also be reblued or touched up to keep appearance good. Probably the greatest drawback of the old Weavers was the lack of a good seal, so in humid climates where temperature changes (outdoors to indoors, for example) could cause internal fogging. But very few Texas hunters ever had a problem with this, particularly not those around El Paso where Weavers were made.

3. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks, I grew up in Odessa and we certainly didn't have any humidity problem either. Maybe that's a reason those weaver scopes on those old 22's of Dad's seem to work good.

deergoose likes this.