Variations in peep sights, sight hoods and front ramps.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sako parts' started by sakofan, Sep 20, 2009.

1. 71Scamp

71Scamp Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    EDM would cut the tips off perfectly.

Scamp

2. Alpo

Alpo Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    I recently bought L579 forester rifle caliber .243win serial 1004**. Condition is overall really good, no rust bore is ok and just few scratches in stock. Cost was 450€ by end of june. Only thing that i'm concerned is front sight bead. I find it very hard to find any information about right bead for this rifle. The bead that came with rifle is worn out so it fell of just by touching with finger. Width of the bead is 6,5mm and lenght of front sight base is 85mm. Is bead in pictures original or is it from some other rifle and is there any replacement part for it from sako or maybe hiviz etc.

Attached Files:

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Those sights look like Williams, which Sako used on some rifles going back as far as the 1970's. If I understand you correctly, the front sight bead is loose in its dovetail.

If it is only loose and not the incorrect size, then you can fix this by using a small hammer and chisel (or even a screwdriver blade) to peen the edge of the female base dovetail against the bead's male dovetail. But be sure you have it in the proper windage position before doing this.

Alternatively, you might fix it in place with a product like LocTite, which is used to fix screws in place to keep them from backing out.

4. Alpo

Alpo Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    You got that completely right. Bead is loose on dovetail. I might try that locktite trick. Thanks for your help

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I know that it sounds a bit harsh, but peening the dovetail might be a more dependable solution. That's what I did on a Mannlicher-Schoenauer (a fairly expensive rifle) which had the same problem and it worked quite nicely. It actually doesn't take a very deep "ping" to hold the sight bead firmly in place.

6. SakoClassic

SakoClassic Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Hey guys, I have a sako classic 85 with factory open sights, and I am keen to look at replacement bead for low light shooting. Keen to know what manufacturer would suit the Sako factory mounts? Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

7. jimsako

jimsako Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hello all

Is the front sight hood in these pictures made by Sako and if so, what model does it fit? There is an indentation where the hood slides into the front sight rail that I haven't seen in other Sako sight hood pictures. Thanks for any input.

front_hood_1.jpg

front_hood_2.jpg

front_hood_3.jpg

8. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Not Sako, but close. Sako is a bit shorter in overall length and has a "tit", vice the "indentation". Perhaps Weatherby ??

DeerGoose

jimsako likes this.
  9. jimsako

jimsako Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I contacted Sako and they didn't recognize this hood, but I'm waiting on one more expert from Sako to check it out. I imagine that there would be some note about this hood style on this site. The hoods are very close in shape, but that notch clearly should be locking into the sight ramp. I think I agree that this is not a Sako hood unless Sako Finland says otherwise.

deergoose likes this.
  10. jimsako

jimsako Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Adding a few more views of one type of Sako forward sight hood (see initial post):

sako_2_side_view.JPG sako_2_hood_under.JPG

deergoose likes this.
  11. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Looks like a late model Sako hood. Similiar to the Garcia era hood, but perhaps found on the A series rifles and the model 75s. I'll try to dig out some of my hoods and snap a few pics.

DeerGoose

jimsako likes this.
  12. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Here are some pics of pre-Garcia and Garcia era sight hoods
    I believe the original post hood is from another rifle
    I actually found one just like it in my stash of sight parts and have a comparison pic
    DeerGoose

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimsako likes this.