Variations in peep sights, sight hoods and front ramps.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sako parts' started by sakofan, Sep 20, 2009.

1. susanna

susanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    stonecreek.

i know they are expensive but barnes 7mm projectiles may be easier to turn ? though still to little small in diameter for the 7x33's bore.

can get more made here of the correct dia .286 but how to get them to the us ?

supersimplex here in aust make dies in 2 styles . look up western firearms in the syd suburb of peakhurst or beverly hills, mine cost about $130 ad. they will ship to you

do you have bertrim brass or original sako ?

2. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Susanna, looks like it will be Saturday August 13th.
    I don't know what to expect numbers wise and the range will probably be open to all comers, not just us Sako nuts !
    More than likely you'd steal the show with your L46's !
    I'll have my cheque book with me just in case :smile1:

3. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Sakofan,
    Can you please tell me what year the second generation Sako Peep-Sight started? Did the first generation Peep run from 1946 to 1961? I'm only guessing. How long did the second generation run for? Any information would be greatly appreciated. How many generation Peeps were produced?
    Regards Blackjack AKA Mike {The Limey}

4. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Sakofan,
    Can you please give me the production years for the 1st 2nd & 3rd Sako Peep-Sights. I am interested in what year the 2nd generation took over from the 1st generation. Would you say that a L46 .22 Hornet made in 1952 was fitted with a 1st generation Peep-Sight? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards Blackjack AKA Mike {The Limey}

5. susanna

susanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    deersako.

dont know about steal the show, with these things you just never know what will come out of the woodwork.

6. sakofan

sakofan Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Blackjack
    I am not sure about the production years of Sako peep sights - it is something I am interested in myself. The first type I have came from an early L46 with left wing type safety. The second came from a later L46 with safety on the right hand side and the third type came from an A11 model. Sorry I can't be any more help - hopefully someone else can shed further light on this issue??
    Sakofan

7. fl23in

fl23in Well-Known Member

ok i could not really follow what u guys were sayin about the "euro" front hood but here is a pic of a 100% OG NON importer l579 transition/AII

and by non importer gun i mean this gun was bought brand new in Germany by my father and brought in by him so it has no improter markings or name(covered in another thread by me)

8. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Good answer to the question, not sure of the exact dates, but first change was around 7-10xxx on the L46 and the second, on the 461~garcia period, others will know better
    always heard them being called, wing safety, toggle safety and A series action peeps
    Never really known if the first few thousand 46's had a peep or if it was an accessory back then, they have always had the cut out in the top of the reciever.
    More common here for the early rifles to have a rear sight
    The first 46's had no front hood, so maybe the peep came on board when the hood was introduced in the first few years.

9. 2Barrels

2Barrels Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    New here, and learning - a lot. Several posts back someone asked what the dovetail width is in the early L61R, silver soldered on, front sight ramp. Curious in that I agree with another poster that suggested that the fiber optic sights are a godsend to those of this with aging eyes and peep sights.

10. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Guys, this has been up before but hereĀ“s a pic of a second type peep sight with a Finnish lion and a stamping that appears to be 57?
    Anyone else who has a peep sight of any kind with Finnish lions or other markings?

Jim

CIMG1706.JPG

11. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Jim- I had one just like it but may not have it anymore. It lookes like a peep for the old L57 and then they decided that they didn't need to mark them anymore.-Mike

12. bloorooster

bloorooster Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    006.JPG 003.JPG

Peep site peeps!! I have one with the Lions head and '68 stamped on it...it is one of the contemporary slanted variations! These came around when they desided to start stamping them again I suppose....Ahhh...the relentless pursuit of "Sakoddities"! ~Bloo

13. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    I've got a handful of them. Here's a couple, one from '65 and one from '67. Note they didn't seem to proof and date them on any particular side.

DeerGoose

000_0090.jpg 000_0093.jpg 000_0092.jpg

14. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Thanks Guys!

I have 6 of these but only one has markings.
    I hope more of you will chip in so we can see a pattern.
    If there is one that is!!

Jim

15. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Deergooses response jogged my memory some. I remember talking to him about some of these some months ago. I think Bloo and I discussed it also. I agree that Sako always seems to surprise us in interesting ways.-Misako

16. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    This is really interesting!
    It is hard for me to tell, with the photo angle, are they the second or third type peep?
    This might help us determine when the change over occured
    L-46

17. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The only peep sight example I have right now is, I believe, the earliest style with the larger diameter aperture ring. It has no markings.

18. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    I have marked second and third type peeps. The pics I posted earlier today are second type peep sites.

DeerGoose

19. bloorooster

bloorooster Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    20080324_peeps.jpg

I found this one, left over from Sunday. Its stamped as well, just says "Peeps"~Bloo

20. Jamesfromjersey

Jamesfromjersey Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Jersey
    sakofan, Thank you so much for the pictures you posted above. I am new to the sight and you cleared up some questions I had about the peep and front sight hood. Sincerely, Jamesfromjersey