Variations in peep sights, sight hoods and front ramps.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sako parts' started by sakofan, Sep 20, 2009.

1. sakofan

sakofan Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    For interest sake, I thought that I would post some pics of variations in peep sights, sight hoods and front ramps that I have come across.
    I only just realised that the earlier peep sight (left of picture) is actually slightly larger than then that of the second generation (in the middle). I always thought only the diopter size varied. The peep on the right is from a later AII model rifle.
    As for the sight hoods the far left is off my L46 .222. The hood with slanted ends I was told came off a finnwolf. Has anyone seen the hood with the cutout before??
    The front ramps are both later screw on types. The smaller is from an L461 vixen. Not sure what the larger one is from. Notice the difference in ramp height and blade shape.
    Please add pics of any different peeps/hoods you may have so we can get an idea of the variations out there.

Attached Files:

2. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Great post sakofan![​IMG]
    As we all now it´s a djungle when it comes to Sako and parts from Sako! It will be great to follow this thread and I guess some of the "old" guys [​IMG] will chip in soon!
    Jim

3. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Nice work sakofan, thought I'd add these while checking out my microgroove L579 for the mystery ''M"
    This is the front sight off an AII. Notice on the breakdown the specs for the Williams rear sight.

Attached Files:

4. sakofan

sakofan Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Thanks Deersako.

5. geow

geow Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    I must be doing something wrong as I cannot get the pics to show. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    G

6. geow

geow Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Think my browser was playing tricks. Got the pics now.

7. ccryder

ccryder Active Member

I have a peep sight like the one on the far right in sakofan's second picture.
    It appears to be unused. What is one worth?
    Need money; need to sell it.

8. fishermen0105

fishermen0105 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    This hood came with my L61R. Not sure that it is the correct hood for the front sight. It has grooves cut out to fit over the ramp rather than the bumps seen above and has a tendency to slip off. The hood is from a 9000 serial number Finnbear. Anybody know where this hood belongs?

Attached Files:

9. mcgrif2243

mcgrif2243 Banned

Hey Fisherman,
    Looks like a Winchester to me with slanted edge and straight edge.
    Will

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    fisherman,
    Welcome to the forum. Regardless where that hood came from, the most important question is: "Where is the hood that belongs on my Sako?"
    Glad to have you on board.
    S-A

11. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Hello Sakofan,
    Just to say that the front-sight on my Sako L579 .308 Win H.B. made in 1970 is soldered [sweated] on,not screwed-on. Please note that the front sight is soldered on NOT silver-soldered [braised]. Be very careful when knocking the blade-sight out as these are very tight, and I can tell you that when I very gently tried to knock the blade-sight out of my HB .308 Win, the whole front-sight came off. This caused me great consternation as it required a re-fitting & re-blacking job which involved having the Action & barrel re-blacked. If this happens have the sight silver-soldered [braised] on, not tinned-on [sweated]. as this is much stronger although requires much more heat.
    Regards Blackjack AKA Mike [The Limey] Southern England. United Kingdom

12. fishermen0105

fishermen0105 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I'm sure it was misplaced by a previous owner. Looks like someone accidentally put the wrong one on. I'll just have to find one at the local gun shop. Is the correct hood supposed to have the slanted edges on each end?

13. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    No. The correct hood should have edges that are straight up and down, like the hood on the left in sakofan's pic.

The hood in your pic is from a Remington model 700.

DeerGoose

14. poconojack

poconojack Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Read somewhere (maybe on this forum) that some Sako rifles sold in Europe were equipped with a sight hood that was slanted at one end. Was told by the individual from whom I purchased this sight hood that it was off "some" European rifle. Perhaps a forum member on the other side of the pond can shed some light on this potential variation.
    PJ

Attached Files:

15. mcgrif2243

mcgrif2243 Banned

Hey PJ,
    Not a Sako hood, at least not for any of the hunting rifle models.
    Will

16. mcgrif2243

mcgrif2243 Banned

Hey Fisherman,
    I don't think finding one at your local gunshop will be quite that easy, in fact, finding one anywhere is an extremely rare event. Even if you do, and the seller knows what they have, be prepared pay somewhere between $50 and $100! (probably closer to the $100)
    Will

17. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Haven't seen a cut out style hood for a Sako before, but have some similar on two lever guns. They work great with the new fiber optic beads. Allows plenty of light to come thru so the front bead lights up. Works great when hunting pigs in heavy timber/brush. Would you be interested in selling that cut out hood. I have a Sako that has been waiting for one. If I can find even a regular hood for my Sako I would have the slot milled in and put a fiber optic blade in. They are so much better than the dark factory blade you won't believe it.

18. mcgrif2243

mcgrif2243 Banned

Hey Pauslson,
    That appears to be a reflection on the inside of the hood. zoom the photo.
    Will

19. emmerth

emmerth Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Paulson,

I like the cut out ones also. They even look pretty cool.

20. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    mcgrif2243:
    If you look at the original photos the poster put up you will clearly see a front sight hood that has the middle 1/3 milled out. Daaaa!