Value of Sako M-78 .22LR "Mannlicher" fullstock

Discussion in 'Valuation Corner' started by robinpeck, Jan 10, 2015.

1. robinpeck

robinpeck Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    Re: Value of Sako M-78 .22LR "Mannlicher" fullstock .

Condition is excellent, inside and out. Nice piece of walnut. Accurate (shoots right along with my very accurate Brno #2 and #5 sporters). No one on this forum has seen another one. Seems to be all factory, not an aftermarket "custom" stock, so may be some sort of Sako prototype that never made it into full production or distribution. Two-piece fullstock is constructed exactly like fullstocks on Sako centerfires. Presently it has a Williams peep on it, clamped to rear dovetail, without any modification to the action (top photo). Located in Canada. I know its a bit hard to give it a value but if anyone has an approximate idea, I'd like to hear it. Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015

2. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Robinpeck, We have seen one before. You first posted this unusual Sako in this forum last year in September.

3. robinpeck

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    "We have seen one before. You first posted this unusual Sako in this forum last year in September."

I don't understand. Yes, I know that I posted pictures of this rifle on the Sako Forum before...and in the text above I thought it was clear that I meant no one has seen another one aside from this one....but I don't think I posted it in this Valuation area. Are you saying I did? I don't think I knew this Valuation Corner existed until today. Anyway....back to valuation. Any idea?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    It's not hard to predict with a hundred or two dollars what most Sakos will bring, but a one-off model like this one is impossible to predict. Ironically, it seems that "collectors" tend to like models that are scarce, but of which a number of examples exist so that a market price can be established. Sometimes those same "collectors" are somewhat uncertain of "one-of-a-kind" (although genuine) pieces. As a result, the number of buyers in the market thins considerably and makes anticipating a selling price very difficult. Whereas normally the scarcer a model is the greater its collector value, that is not necessarily so with many guns.

Bottom line: It can only be valued by an arms-length transaction between a willing seller and willing buyer in an open and accessible marketplace. Until that happens, I don't think anyone could reliably put a value on it.

But lots of folks would like to have it.:)

5. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    If you were in the states. I'd give you $2000.00 for it.
    The grain in the stock is high grade, and easy on the eyes.
    The cost of importing a gun adds to the cost.

6. robinpeck

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    Yes, $2000. would be a price I could easily get, here in Canada or down in the States. I've been offered more. And I know its nearly impossible to valuate a one-off rifle. Thats why I hold out hope that one of these days we'll spot another one.

Its funny that "lots of folks would like to have it", because in my decades of rifle (mostly centerfire) collecting experience .22 collectors are the real cheapskates, never wanting to pay much, on-line and at gunshows always arguing over every nickel and dime. I don't know why this is, but I imagine it has something to do with the psychology of those who are attracted to budget ammo .22 caliber rifles in the first place. I myself love .22s because they are such pure and useless rifles, only good for smaller varmints (if close enough) and paper targets and not much good for any category of real hunting. They make me feel young, recalling the endless blue skies and gopher pastures of my rural prairie youth. Like many people my age, I took out the family .22 when I was 12 or so and taught myself to shoot small game. Thanks for the ideas on value. Enough said.

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yep, "Lots of folks would like to have it" is different from "Lots of folks would pay a lot for it". And I think you're correct about people whose interest is in rimfires not being willing to pay as much for them as comparable centerfires. I'm sure that's because almost all rimfires sell for much less money than comparable centerfires to begin with. For example, the P-78 went for only a little more than half the price of a contemporaneous centerfire Sako, and if you'll look at the difference in the actions it's easy to see why. Put in that light, it is not hard to understand why it is more difficult to get a premium price for a rimfire as compared to a centerfire.

I bought a P-72 .22 LR from the retired president of the Garcia Arms Corporation (this was many years after Garcia had gone out of business). He told me he was extremely reluctant to import them because "who would pay nearly $500 for just a .22?"

8. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    Robin

I didn't know it, but back in the 70's , Sako did make special orders.
    If yours is . . . then there is only one.

And I agree with Stonecreek the bolts and actions of p72's and p78's are half the metal and quality.

I've paid up to $2000.00 for P72's with a lacquer finish, and a gripcap.

Imagine your gun with a lacquer finish and grip cap. It would be a knock out.

I've never owned a M78, so I don't know anything about the barrel channel proper layout. On your photo of the barrel channel. It appears the fore end connector was installed with factory quality.

I do have a question on the size and depth of the vertical hole that can be seen in the barrel channel?

thanks

9. robinpeck

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    I don't think that hole is very deep. Anyway, I'll measure it next time I take down the rifle. That might be awhile though.

Sorry, but I don't like lacquer finishes. I have some Steyr-Mannlicher fullstock rifles and Sako L-46 "Mannlicher"-type fullstock rifles with original factory "piano" finishes but normally I prefer some form of oil finish.

I agree with all the above comments about the reasons for the lower value of .22 rifles. But when I mentioned the cheapness of .22 collectors, I didn't just mean in relationship to buying .22 rifles. I think its deeper and way more hilarious than that. I mean at gunshows they will hestitate and want to bargain for price reductions on a $2. dollar box of ammo, or the $5. price of a used book, things like that. I've met guys who collect cheap .22s who claim its a great way of keeping their collecting investment low. They seemed proud of their cleverness. When I told them I was puzzled why they wanted to have big collections of cheap .22s...they seemed offended, but I don't get it. If necessary, I'd reduce my own collection to three or four great rifles, rather than own dozens of cheap .22s. "Penny Proud, Pound Foolish" .

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  10. enotstehw

enotstehw Banned

Country Flag:
    Mexico
    State/Region:
    US Hawaii
    Robin

I call them bargain hunters, and they think they are big time collectors.
    I lost $30,000 in the stock market 14 years ago. And that will never happen again.

If I can't touch it, kick it, or kiss it, it's not for me. I don't invest in ideas any more.

I've never lost money on a gun. It's not . . . that I'm a smart buyer, guns just keep their value.

11. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Robin, did you ever part with this lil' beauty?

12. robinpeck

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018