Unusual mark on L579?

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by stonecreek, Aug 13, 2014.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    007 (800x450).jpg

I recently picked up an early L579 in .308 (Bofors, half-moon mag release, SN 16,XXX) and when I disassembled it to clean and inspect I found this "UN" mark in front of the "Made In Finland" mark on the LH side of the receiver below the stock line. Maybe a mark like this is common, but if so I haven't noticed it before. I doubt this is a rifle made especially for the United Nations, so can anyone clue me in on the significance of "UN"?

BTW: This rifle also has the one piece magazine box/bottom metal, the two having been welded together and the magazine box being of somewhat heavier gauge than the usual stamped ones. I've seen a few of these, but they're very uncommon in my experience.

2. RANE

RANE Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Stonecreek..Would this be the stamped initials of the Inspector ?

3. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    I'll check mine when I get home in a few days, both .243's but both with the one piece magazine box/bottom metal.
    Even if the UN stamp is there it still doesn't answer your question though sorry.

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Beats me.

The person I bought it from said that it was purchased new by his father, so it is presumably a one-owner and wouldn't have picked up the stamp in transit between countries. Besides, the stamp has been blued over, so it appears it came from the factory.

5. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    image.jpg Just checked mine, both have the 'UN' stamp. Both are also 'M' stamped receivers with the short cocking piece.