• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Unique Finnbear Mannlicher

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

vigo

Hello,
I recently acquired an "as new" (still has orange swivel protection disc), L61R Finnbear Mannlicher in 7mm Mag. As a long time researcher and modest collector of Sako rifles I have yet to encounter or heard of one like this, at least in the U.S. This rifle, in all characteristics, is the same as the Mannlichers in long action first imported to the U.S. by Garcia around 1971. For those who might not know, the Mannlicher Sako's up until the take over of F.I. by Garcia were only available in short and medium actions. (L461, L579). The Garcia import long action Mannlicher's were only around for about 2 years max. Anyway, this one has beautiful grain wood with the burnt orange color associated with the Model 72's. Checkered top scope bases, not smooth, curved not straight bolt handle, two lug bolt with two lug receiver, not three lug. Receiver has the slight plum hew and all the metal is high gloss polish. front sight is sweat-on not screw-on. So here is what I think makes this unique, at least in the U.S.: The SN is 76XXX and there is no import stamp. I have a model 72 Finnbear with SN 72XXX, Made in 1973. The SN puts it somewhere in the mid to possibly late '70's. I think the powers that be here know this, but for those who may not, it shows that Sako continued to produce the same rifles that were simply not imported based on what Garcia thought was best for the U.S. market. which at the time was the Model 72 and then Model 74 Super. In closing, this is the highest serial number L61R Mannlicher I have ever seen or heard of. Probably a military bring-back, but still nice to see something I think is unique.
Carl

Hi CArl, great summary and description, sounds truly unique, I reckon we all would like to see a picture of that beauty!
Jay

Sakos distributed in the U.S. often differed from Sakos distributed other places in the world. For example, it seems that rifles intended for the European market much more often were equipped with both front an rear sights, as compared to most U.S. Sakos having no rear sight. There is also the unique feature of the "short striker" Australian models, which occur nowhere else. There were also a number of calibers which were distributed in Europe and not in the U.S.

It was probably not so much what Sako chose to build, but what was demanded by the importer. If the U.S. importer didn't think a model, feature, or caliber would sell, then they didn't import it. Way back during the L46 period, F.I. apparently didn't think that there was a market for the .25-20 or 7x33, so all of those which exist in the U.S. appear to have been individually imported. The same appears to be true of 7x64's, 7x57's, and 8x57's, although there may be examples of "salesman samples" brought in through the importer of these metric calibers floating around in the U.S.

Hey Stonecreek, I am sure you have thought many times of the numerous model, caliber, configuration variations that went everywhere else except here. Also, I believe I read in one of my Garcia catalogs, they were the import company for Sako, into only the U.S., Australia and New Zealand. Carl.

Very interesting rifle, it seems. Does it have the protruding pin at the rear of the bolt?, which is usually associated with the model 74....

DeerGoose

Also, I believe I read in one of my Garcia catalogs, they were the import company for Sako, into only the U.S., Australia and New Zealand. Carl.
I think Garcia's importation of Sakos was limited to the U.S. D.W. Custer was the Australian importer for many years, and probably all of the years that the Garcia Arms Corporation existed (~1971-1978). I'm sure one of our Aussie friends can tell us for certain. I've run across the name of the NZ importer during that period, but can't recall it right now. One of the guys from NZ can chime in here.

That said, I'm sure you'll currently find a significant number of Sakos in Australia with the Garcia import mark -- there has been a hot market for Sakos there for several years and lots of Sakos have been imported from the U.S., some of which would have originally been Garcia imports.

So far as I know, Stoeger Canada continues to be the Canadian importer. Other than a few smaller markets like South Africa, there are essentially no other importers, if I understand correctly, since the countries of the European Community don't require a formal importer. Some European countries may still require proofing (Britain, Italy, Belgium?), but that's different from importing.

Very interesting rifle, it seems. Does it have the protruding pin at the rear of the bolt?, which is usually associated with the model 74....

DeerGoose
Hello DeerGoose, no pin in the bolt shroud like the 74. Carl

Last edited:
Back