Action Unidentified Build from my Grandfather

Discussion in 'Other firearms built on Sako actions' started by TTail1994, Jan 12, 2021.

1. TTail1994

TTail1994 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Hello all,

I had this rifle passed down to me from my grandfather. I know he had purchased it somewhere in Connecticut, but do not know too much more about the rifle or gunsmith. I can tell that it is a L61R Sako action from the stamping... but other than the obvious, I am stumped. The fable was that it was made by someone who turned barrels after hours in the old colt plant, but we are not sure.

Even if anyone has any guesses on what the script writing says, I am all ears and will follow up on any leads. Just want to know more about it and its history. Any info on the serial number on the action is appreciated as well.

Respectfully,
    T
    sako3.jpg Sako2.jpg sako4.jpg

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The stock looks exactly like those on the H&R Ultrarifles, but the figure is better than usually seen on them. H&R used mostly FN actions on their long action Ultrarifles, but there were a few made on the Sako L61R. My best guess (and it is only speculation) is that you have an H&R Ultrarifle with a custom barrel. Maybe you could post a photo showing the stock full length?

3. TTail1994

TTail1994 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Appreciate the info! Here is a full length photo

Attached Files:

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    While the stock is very similar to an H&R stock it lacks the contrasting fore end tip and the color of its stain is not as red as the H&R's. Your rifle appears to be a full custom, with a custom barrel and stock on a Sako L61R action. But a very nice one, of course.

TTail1994 likes this.
  5. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Is it just my eyes or does that barrel look 30" long??

6. TTail1994

TTail1994 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    It is 28" long with the break.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  7. tripledeuce

tripledeuce Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
    Interesting to see another serial number with an extra space between the 1 and 3. Thought my 7MM Mag with serial no. 1 3006 was an oddity.