Unfired '66 Forester in 243

Discussion in 'Valuation Corner' started by Timthetoolman, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Timthetoolman

Timthetoolman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    Just made an incredible find from an estate. This L579 still had cosmoline on the bolt and receiver! No box or papers but was a single owner gun, his son claimed that this and others were never fired. No evidence of a scope having been mounted. Bore is perfect as is the rest of the gun, copper solvent removed not one hint of copper. I truly believe it to be unfired. I plan on making this my hunter for the rest of my life. I know it must have some collector value as is, but this is my "holy grail" gun as my father owns one and I always aspired to have one like it. Not letting me upload a pic :(

2. 16b410

16b410 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    It sure does have some collector value all new and unused, but it also has value to guys like you (and me) who like hunting with fine firearms. I killed quite a few deer with a rifle like yours and it still looks good. I hope you have great times doing the same.

3. bloorooster

bloorooster Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Hello Toolman and Welcome to the SCC!
    Collectors would not think of firing a vintage NIB rifle or pistol of any kind. 1 shot can be a 50% PRICE REDUTION for a verified mint condion gun. #1 reason I have never purchased one, at least as far as collectalble vintage guns go. Having no box or original paperwork to document or verify the unfired condition makes it difficult to prove...plus...all Sako's are test fired before they leave the factory...so...there really is no true verification of it. Cosmoline can be applied and cleaned away and then reapplied. There are areas that show wear, such as the bolt handle and cocking assembly, bolt face, screwheads etc...

Best part of your situation is that you have alway chosen to shoot and hunt and celebrate what your Vintage Forester was made for. The grail will give you many generations of hunting and shooting bliss provided that you care for her well...Take her out, get her scoped up and sighted in. Enjoy! Keep in touch with us here and let us know how she does, we love range reports and group photo's and photos of Sako's in the field~Bloo

4. iwanna

iwanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Welcome to the forum! Is it your first Sako?