trying to rehab an old L579

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by R.Huff, Oct 25, 2018.

1. R.Huff

R.Huff Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    Hi folks I just located an old 243 L579 Forester and purchased it. Someone long ago cut the rear of the stock down and according to a very good gunsmith trimmed the barrel down. I bought the gun with a new set of rings and am hoping to bring it back as close as I can to its former glory. It is at gunsmiths now being re crowned and I will be purchasing a new stock. On the good side the rifling is excellent according to the gunsmith as well as the action and trigger components. The jeweled bolt appears nearly new with little wear. Am really excited about this project.

2. sraaw

sraaw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Hi R Huff, Good luck with your project, the L seriese rifles are worth the effort taken to bring back. Interested to hear what makes the gunsmith think the barrel has been cut and needs recrowning? Interested to know as Sako crowned their barrels square, with no concave as most other manufacturers do.

3. R.Huff

R.Huff Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    The end of the barrel was very rough and appeared to have cold blue applied to it but that info is really helpful. I have no experience with Sako rifles and will be trying to determine several things about this gun such as age and what exact model it is, there are no sights and I believe it may be a heavier style barrel. Do most of these have the jeweled bolt. Serial number is 98099 so need to do some research.

4. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Sounds like an interesting project. It would be helpful if you could post some photos of the rifle - the community can give you better advice if we see what you are dealing with. It sounds like the rifle was cut down for use by a smaller person. What is the current barrel length and length of pull? If not too much has been taken off the buttstock, you might be able to restore it to a reasonable length with a pad and spacer. I'm doing that right now on a very rare Tikka .222 Deluxe that somebody chopped down for a very small shooter. The forend could easily be reshaped in proportion to the chopped barrel. Of course, L579 stocks can also be found on eBay and Gunbroker. You will have to be sure the barrel channel is the same or smaller than your barrel. You can easily hog out a too-tight barrel channel, but if the channel is too big it's going to look silly. There are at least three possible barrel contours for a .243. The early sporter was the thinnest, the later sporter was slightly heavier, and there was also a heavy barrel varmint version. Sounds like you most likely have a late sporter, but a photo will tell which it is.

5. R.Huff

R.Huff Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    As soon as I get the gun back I will take some more measurements the stock is very short ant uncomfortable the barrel measured 23.25 inches from end of barrel to bolt face if that helps.

6. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    That is kind of strange, that's a pretty normal barrel length for a .243 Sako, unless it's a varmint rifle. Certainly not what you would expect on a gun that has been chopped at both ends. It sounds like the gun might have been cut because of some muzzle damage rather than to shorten the barrel. It will be interesting to see the photos when you get it back and figure out just what you have and what all was done to it.

7. R.Huff

R.Huff Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    IMG_1039.jpg IMG_1040.jpg IMG_1041.jpg IMG_1042.jpg

Attached Files:

ricksengines likes this.
  8. R.Huff

R.Huff Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    Hey guys havent been able to post but got rifle back. It is recrowned stock spacer and but pad installed to make LOP 13 1/4 inches, and rings and scope mounted. Wanted to replace stock but after looking decided to install the space and pad. Loaded up some ammo and fired gun a few times pretty accurate. Any Idea on the rate of twist I would like to hunt deer with it this year.

9. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Twist will be 1-10 but you can verify that with a cleaning rod and patch tipped jag.

10. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Nice Tracker boat...