• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Trying to figure out which Optilock rings & bases

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Makoman

So, I recently purchased an AV classic in .270 Win. and am trying to figure out which Optilock rings and bases I need. I have two scopes, one with a 40mm objective bell, the other with a 44mm. Both are 30mm tubes. If I'm understanding the Sako sizing chart correctly, I need the long bases, and XTRA low rings for use with both of these, correct?

Hi Makoman,

you are correct - long bases and extra low rings should work perfectly with both scopes on your AV Classic.
(Outer diameter of the objective bell on a Leupold VX-6HD with 44 mm objective lens measures about 53 mm)

Difference in the mount height between Low and Extra Low rings is only 2 mm (less than 1/10"), so it might not be bad idea to go with Low rings instead, since you might end up getting a few more Sakos down the road and the slightly higher rings give a bit more leeway if you're using them on a rifle with a heavier barrel, get a new scope with bigger objective or end up getting a Sako 75 or 85 where ejecting brass hitting the scope might be an issue.

https://www.sako.fi/sites/default/files/Optilockring.pdf

Hi Makoman,

you are correct - long bases and extra low rings should work perfectly with both scopes on your AV Classic.
(Outer diameter of the objective bell on a Leupold VX-6HD with 44 mm objective lens measures about 53 mm)

Difference in the mount height between Low and Extra Low rings is only 2 mm (less than 1/10"), so it might not be bad idea to go with Low rings instead, since you might end up getting a few more Sakos down the road and the slightly higher rings give a bit more leeway if you're using them on a rifle with a heavier barrel, get a new scope with bigger objective or end up getting a Sako 75 or 85 where ejecting brass hitting the scope might be an issue.

https://www.sako.fi/sites/default/files/Optilockring.pdf

That's night a bad idea. I was actually thinking of going with the low instead of the xtra low, but was concerned because I've seen pics of Sakos with the Optilock system where the scope looked like it was really high, like the one pictured here. I didn't want to have to crane and strain my neck to look through the scope. The one in the link probably has too high rings for the scope that's mounted.

I like Leupold Rings and mounts. They are simple and elegant looking. I have their QR rings/mounts on my other two rifles. Looks like they have that type of set-up for SAKO rifles as well.
I’m pretty sure cobra and paulson are referring to Leupold’s one piece ringmounts, not a ring and base set. The Leupold ringmounts are simple, sturdy, inexpensive and can be purchased in several heights as well as 1” and 30mm tube size. Since your rifle does not have irons spending unnecessary for QR’s really serves no purpose. Take a look at the link cobra provided.

Back