Sako Trying to figure out which Optilock rings & bases

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Makoman, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Makoman

Makoman Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    So, I recently purchased an AV classic in .270 Win. and am trying to figure out which Optilock rings and bases I need. I have two scopes, one with a 40mm objective bell, the other with a 44mm. Both are 30mm tubes. If I'm understanding the Sako sizing chart correctly, I need the long bases, and XTRA low rings for use with both of these, correct?

2. Murkula

Murkula Active Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    Hi Makoman,

you are correct - long bases and extra low rings should work perfectly with both scopes on your AV Classic.
    (Outer diameter of the objective bell on a Leupold VX-6HD with 44 mm objective lens measures about 53 mm)

Difference in the mount height between Low and Extra Low rings is only 2 mm (less than 1/10"), so it might not be bad idea to go with Low rings instead, since you might end up getting a few more Sakos down the road and the slightly higher rings give a bit more leeway if you're using them on a rifle with a heavier barrel, get a new scope with bigger objective or end up getting a Sako 75 or 85 where ejecting brass hitting the scope might be an issue.

https://www.sako.fi/sites/default/files/Optilockring.pdf

3. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
  4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Plus one on what CVCOBRA1 said!!

5. Makoman

Makoman Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    I like Leupold Rings and mounts. They are simple and elegant looking. I have their QR rings/mounts on my other two rifles. Looks like they have that type of set-up for SAKO rifles as well.

6. Makoman

Makoman Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    That's night a bad idea. I was actually thinking of going with the low instead of the xtra low, but was concerned because I've seen pics of Sakos with the Optilock system where the scope looked like it was really high, like the one pictured here. I didn't want to have to crane and strain my neck to look through the scope. The one in the link probably has too high rings for the scope that's mounted.

7. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    I’m pretty sure cobra and paulson are referring to Leupold’s one piece ringmounts, not a ring and base set. The Leupold ringmounts are simple, sturdy, inexpensive and can be purchased in several heights as well as 1” and 30mm tube size. Since your rifle does not have irons spending unnecessary for QR’s really serves no purpose. Take a look at the link cobra provided.