Finnwolf VL63 Trying to buy a Finnwolf, price question

Discussion in 'Sako Finnwolf VL63 lever actions' started by Matt74, May 30, 2019.

1. Matt74

Matt74 Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Quebec
    Hi Guys,
    Only been on here one another time regarding another Sako I purchased a couple years ago. A fellow I know has a VL63 in 243, serial number in the 7,000 range, he says was made in 1973. Beautiful rifle, he is the second owner, the original owner (a Sako collector) bought it new. He says to his knowledge it was only test fired once, it still has the original box. No manuals, etc. It does have the original Sako scope bases. LNIB I guess you would say. He is asking $3150. I am generally a Winchester man, I really don’t follow Sakos as much, but seen one of these recently and decided I just had to have one. Is this a fair price? Seems high to me, but it is basically a new gun, and I know they did not make a lot of them.
    Thank you,
    Matt

Last edited: May 30, 2019

2. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    The 243 is the harder one to find but to answer your question........No, it's not a fair price.

Is the box numbered to the rifle? If so and it is in excellent, mint condition, I would say a little below or a little above the $1800.00 mark.

3. Matt74

Matt74 Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Quebec
    Thanks for the reply. It did seem quite high to me, but I am beginning to wonder if they seem to command a higher price up here in Canada, maybe they are harder to find up here. A 308 , not near as nice as this - went for $3700 CDN at a local auction last year. Nuts.
    No, he said the end label is not in the box. Kind of made me think someone just found a box for the gun.
    Matt

4. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    That's crazy money for one with the box and the box is not number to the rifle. I agree with you, he probably just found a box.

Maybe one of the experts with chime in with their thought.

5. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Ditto

6. Matt74

Matt74 Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Quebec
    If anyone knows of a real nice example for sale (either caliber) let me know. I have imported many rifles from the US.
    Thanks for the advice!
    Matt

7. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    My goodness, for the price of $3150 each in US currency I would be tempted to part with my Sako Collector set new in box and you could have both. Sakojim.

8. Matt74

Matt74 Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Quebec
    So, I came across another local Finnwolf today which brings me to me next question. The 243 I was looking at first, is in the 7500 serial number range. It had a Monte Carlo stock. The 308 I got pictures if today, in the 7300 serial range, did not have a Monte Carlo stock. I was told by a friend that the “later” Finnwolfs did not have the Monte Carlo stock, and the wood and metal finish was not quite as well done. So, the 243 is the one with the Monte Carlo stock, but it - by serial number - would have been a later gun. I am guessing the Finnwolfs (all Sakos?) are not sequentially serial numbered? And are there differences (aside from the cheek piece) between earlier and later production guns?
    Matt

9. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    You are correct about Sako not building rifles in sequential order. Our club has the factory records for the VL-63, so if you have the serial number you can request the data by clicking on "Factory Records Service" in the upper left of this page. In addition to the Monte Carlo & straight comb stocks, they also offered an "Ambidextrous" stock. In fact, there was a fairly recent thread here about the "Ambi" stock you might want to check out?

10. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    I have more than one standing offer for my 243 finnwolf at $3000. I do have to say it is the nicest i have seen. I did buy a well used 308 finnwolf for $1550
    Importing out of the US is roughly double what ever the tag is and once its here or is yours.
    Something will come along just got to be in the right place at the right time.
    Does it matter if its a 243 or 308? I did have a line on a real nice one in 308. I think he was asking just north of 2g's

11. Matt74

Matt74 Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Quebec
    Thanks for replying. You are in Ontario? I know a dealer in Ontario who has a 308 (no cheek piece), real nice, just a few marks, cheap scope on it, $2200, maybe same gun. He does a lot of the shows between here and Southern Ontario. I would like one in either caliber, but with the cheek piece. The fellow with the 243 has come down to $2900. It does appear like it has only ever been fired once.
    Yeah, I have imported probably close to two dozen rifles from US in the last ten years. Never cost me double, but point taken. But, sometimes it has been the only way for me to find the condition Winchesters I have been looking for.
    Matt