• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Trouble with Barnes TSX in AI in 222 rem

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

buhl

Hi there - this one may be simple for some of you - but yesterday I was testing some handloads for my beloved little Sako AI in 222 rem - using Barnes TSX bullets, and Norma 200 powder - the groups were terrible, ten inches and all over the paper. Is it caused by the rise in 222 rem not beeing able to stabilize the long TSX bullets?

Best regards

Hans

Hans
What grain bullet? I cannot get my 22-250 to shoot 50 grain bullets at all.
Have you checked your scope mounts? it could be something as little as a loose mount
Scott

The monometal bullets can be very tempremental. Unless you have a compelling need to shoot a monometal bullet (like hunting in a "no lead" zone), stick with lead core jacketed bullets for the best performance.

I'll add from personal experience. When my "old trusty" went south like that. I was told to clean and reset my dies. I was dubious but it worked. I couldn't remember ever cleaning the dies. This was about 35 yrs worth of reloading (not mass amounts) with them.-Misako

Thanks for the replies - I should of course have written which bullet weight I am using - it is a 53 grain - which means the bullet is rather long....

The dies are brand new, and have only loaded about 50-100 shells. I think that the problem is the slow rise in the 222 rem barrel - I actually found a not on Barnes website (suprise, suprise) that they recommended at least 1:9 twist. I went for this bullet, not because lead is illigal in my area, but more in order to get good performance (penetration, minimal meet damage) as with other premium bullets - however, there do not seem to be that many available in the light weight range in 224 caliber. I tried the TSX 53 grain, because I saw on forums that others got away with loading them in 222 - why I do not know :)

After the six test shots, I loaded the rest with regular Norma 50 Grain softpoints - where it did less than halv an inch at 100 meters - as usual :)

Best regards

Hans

Hans

My limited experience with 85 GR Barnes TSX BT has been disappointing too.

Working up loads for a Sako L581 in .243 and gave up on the TSX.

I have tried 8 different loads and have given up, went to 100 GR Hornady BTSP and it is shooting well.

Kelly

Hans: Copper is a relatively light metal when compared to traditional lead core bullets so a TSX of the same weight will be longer than a conventional bullet. As such and depending on the twist of your barrel, the longer TSX bullet may not be stabilized properly. When they are right, they are a very accurate bullet but as others have pointed out they can produce very erratic results on occasion.

Twist matters; as others have pointed out, copper bullets are longer.

Some 1-14" twists will run a 53 TSX, but the majority of factory 222's will not.
Try the 45grain TSX in your 222.
Good luck!

I've got an Sako L461 that loves the TSX 45 gr bullet.Group 5 shots at 15-20 mm all the time (distance 100 m). I load with 20 grs of Norma 200 (COL 54mm).

I,ve tried the 50grs as well and they are almost as good 25-30 mm (enough for roedeer).

And I've got the same experience with the 53 grs bullet didn't get it to stabilize in my barrel.

/Andreas

Hans,

To update this thread, the Barnes Reloading Manual #4 states the .222 Rem "will not stabilize 53-, 62-, and 70 grain TSX fired in 1:14 barrels."
I'm having a similar problem with TSX and TTSX in 6.5 mm for the 260 Rem. My 85 has a fast 1:8 twist favoring the heavier bullets. Loves 140 gr SSTs.

SpdrW

You have to move them along and have fast twist! I have excellent results with the 85 grain TSX in my .243, and the result on game is impressive. Also, 70 grainers in my .223 1:8 twist print well over 300 yards. In the .243 I use Hybrid 100V. Great powder. .223 get RE15. Another good one for heavy .224 bullets. .222 Vixen loves 52 grain Sierras. I never shoot anything else.

You all must remember that the .222 Rem was designed a long time ago, and 40-50gr bullet weight was the norm. Twist in these rifles was based on achieving velocities that would impart the required RPM to stabilize. Heavier bullets just won't go fast enough in a 1:14 twist to make it. If you want to shoot the heavy 22 cal bullets get a rifle with the 1:8 twist. Likely never found in a SAKO.

There's nothing wrong with staying within the design parameters for a cartridge. If you need a different cartridge to do your job... go buy the right one. I for one like moderate loads that allow me to enjoy my barrel... not to burn it out and have to replace it with a NON SAKO barrel. This IS the SAKO collectors forum right?

Want a hot rod... go buy a new Ruger Predator 6.5 Creedmoor, and when you have worn out that barrel put a 24" Krieger on it.

I've got an Sako L461 that loves the TSX 45 gr bullet.Group 5 shots at 15-20 mm all the time (distance 100 m). I load with 20 grs of Norma 200 (COL 54mm).

I,ve tried the 50grs as well and they are almost as good 25-30 mm (enough for roedeer).

And I've got the same experience with the 53 grs bullet didn't get it to stabilize in my barrel.

/Andreas

hi Andreas - do you want to share The load data for The 45 gr TSX? Im going to try it soon.
I cant get anything Else lead free to Work!
How far/deep do you Seat Them, How much free flight, and do you crimp Them?

kr
Niels from Denmark (country going lead free)

hi Andreas - do you want to share The load data for The 45 gr TSX? Im going to try it soon.
I cant get anything Else lead free to Work!
How far/deep do you Seat Them, How much free flight, and do you crimp Them?

kr
Niels from Denmark (country going lead free)
Note that this thread is from 2011, last updated in 2017. You may or may not get a reply.

Latest posts

Back