Trigger Troubles

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by icebear, Aug 24, 2018.

1. icebear

icebear Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Recently I pulled my .300 H&H Finnbear out of the safe to take it to the range and discovered that the trigger mechanism wasn't working properly. The sear didn't always rise all the way to catch the cocking piece, the trigger sometimes wouldn't release, and the trigger action just felt wrong. The gun was quite unsafe. My first guess turned out to be correct - there was hardened grease inside the trigger housing that was interfering with the motion of trigger and sear. I took the trigger mechanism completely apart, cleaned everything up, rubbed a coat of moly on the sear (don't know if that will do any good but it can't hurt), lubed it with Break Free and put it all back together.

Taking apart the Sako trigger is not a task for the faint of heart, or for those with more than the normal number of thumbs. Of the several problems involved, two stand out. First is that the two pins that hold the sear in the trigger housing are 1.5mm. This is slightly smaller than 1/16", which is the smallest punch most of us have in our tool box. I solved this by taking a cheap 1/16 punch and shaving it down a bit with sandpaper. It didn't take much to get the punch to where it would fit in the 1.5mm hole. A non-plated punch should be selected for this treatment. The other issue is that the trigger mechanism must be reassembled in exactly the correct order. Unfortunately, I did not have any instructions, I just figured it out on my own, and it took me a couple of tries to get the thing back together correctly. There are probably instructions on line somewhere; if you aren't inclined to take things apart without a road map, Google might prove useful.

The good news is, now my Finnbear has a nice crisp 3-pound trigger like it should. If you find that your trigger isn't working right, or just doesn't feel right, give it a good cleaning before screwing around with the adjustments. Chances are that it's gunked up and needs a good cleaning. You can try spray cleaner, but the stuff in my trigger was pretty well hardened and taking it apart was the right decision. Some of that old petroleum-based lubricant hardens up and doesn't want to move. Modern synthetic lubricants are a lot better.