Trigger group on P 72 & Dove Block screw?

Discussion in 'Sako Rimfires and Small Action Rifles' started by Oldbird13, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Oldbird13

Oldbird13 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    I am attempting to find any assistance/advice regarding the trigger on my P 72 in .22lr. Hopefully the photos I took will be clear enough for you to help understand the workings. I cannot locate any manual or instructions for this model. The metal on the rifle is in fine shape and I cleaned up the stock w/100% Pure Tung Oil and waxed it with Renaissance Wax. The rifle came without the dove blocks and their fastening screws. I have some bases I can use but the screws that came with the bases are too long and I prefer not to "shim" them to make the screws tighten up. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Oldbird13

Attached Files:

2. Foxhound

Foxhound Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    What would you like to do with the trigger? As far as the scope bases...weaver makes a set for the P72/75/78. They are #85's, and come with screws. I used a set on my P72, .22WMR and they worked just fine. However I did have to shorten the screws a tad.

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Shorten the screws by grinding the tips with a fine stone.

I'm assuming that you'd like to adjust the trigger. This is one of two or three different triggers that Sako used on the P-series 72/75/78. I can't help with how to adjust but it appears from the small screw heads that it may be adjustable.

4. Oldbird13

Oldbird13 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    I may have already discovered those bases...the challenge was the proper size screws, both length and thread compatibility. Have replaced, tuned and adjusted numerous triggers on a variety of rifles but usually only after clear understanding of how they operate...usually found/described in an owners manual. I have this rifle as well as a couple 78's and NO manual was provided/available. Sure wish I spoke Finnish. Thank you for reply and help!

5. Oldbird13

Oldbird13 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    I saw several other "different looking" triggers from P-72s from other forum members and they did NOT look like mine. Am a little reluctant to disassemble/adjust without having more precise "how-to" information, whether it be written instructions from manual or possibly "You-Tube" videos. Thank you for your reply and advice!