TRG-S/M995 action size

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Johan Lindh, May 8, 2020.

1. Johan Lindh

Johan Lindh Active Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Smaaland
    According to Wikipedia the M995 action läs available in two lengths. However, I have never seen a short, live or on the internet.

I have had three, in 6.5x55 and 300 Win Mag, same size. The sales leaflet lists two lengths but the spare parts catalogue lists only one stock.

Anyone able to add to this?

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I'm pretty sure that all of them used the same action. The only caliber I've ever seen listed for the M995 which could use a shorter action was the .308, and I've never seen one of those and am not sure if they were ever actually produced.

3. Johan Lindh

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Smaaland
    Yes, they were, produced I mean, the 308 that is.

I've seen a few and I got a couple of magazines for it (the same one as for the 6,5x55).

Thank you for your reply.

4. Murkula

Murkula Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    Hi Johan!

Sako initially planned to produce the TRG-S in two action lengths - M975 and M995.
    M975 was to be based on the TRG-21 action, which handles cartridges up to 75 mm OAL, while the M995 was based on the TRG-41 action
    that accommodates cartridges up to 95 mm OAL.

The M975 was planned to be offered in .243 Win, 7mm-08 Rem & .308 Win calibers. These plans are documented for example by user manuals that came with early manufacture TRG-S M995s and Opti-Lock boxes that list the M975 model. In the end only a handful of M975 prototypes were made and this rifle did not make it into production.

Reason for scrapping the M975 was most likely that the development of the M75 was already underway and this rifle was to be also offered with a detachable box magazine & synthetic stock and Sako executives thought that the M75 and M975 would be so similar products, that it didn't make sense offer both.

Eventually Sako started to manufacture an M995 that was chambered in .308 Win - this version came with a 22.25" barrel with 11" twist and a
    magazine that had a spacer to shorten the mag, so that the shorter .308 Win cartridge would feed properly in the massive action.
    I have handled one of these rifles in Finland and in my opinion this cartridge is not a good fit for the M995 action.

Best regards,

Murkula

Johan Lindh likes this.
  5. Murkula

Murkula Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    Here are a couple of photos related to the topic: OptiLock.JPG
    Opti-Lock box with M975 markings

M975_manual.png
    M975 / M995 Manual

6. Murkula

Murkula Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    M995_308_win_03.JPG M995 in .308 Winchester

M995_308_magazine.jpg
    M995 .308 Win magazine with spacer

7. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Murkula: Thanks for that very useful information!

Something else you might be able to address: I have magazines marked both 95-1 and 95-2, but they appear to be identical in every respect and either will handle any of the belted magnum cartridges that I have Model 995 rifles for (.338, .375, & .416). I wonder why the difference in markings?

8. Murkula

Murkula Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    Stonecreek: You’re most welcome!

Very good question about the M995 magazine markings – answer is as follows:

Sako lists four different M995 magazines in their spare parts catalog
    1. M995/308 Win, Art.No. S5740372, identifiable from the spacer
    2. M995, Art.No. S5740373, marked "95-1"
    3. M995 Mag, Art.No. S5740380, marked "95-2"
    4. M995 Super Mag, Art.No. S5740381, marking unknown
    The 95-1 magazines are meant for calibers that have around .473” rim diameter, ie. .30-06, 9.3x62, 6.5x55 etc.
    The 95-2 magazines are for calibers with a .532” rim diameter, ie. .375 H&H and derivatives.

The differences between these two magazines are very small and easily missed with the naked eye. When measured with a caliper, differences in the magazine body are clear. However, the only difference that might matter in some cases, is the distance between feed lips: for the 95-1 magazine this distance is approximately 10.6 mm (~ .417”),while for the 95-2 magazine this measurement is 12.2 mm (~ .480”). Additionally, unloaded 95-1 magazines weigh about 112 grams and the 95-2 magazines weigh 105 grams, which translates to about 108 grain difference.

My experience reflects that of Stonecreek’s in the sense that in my .338 WM and .375 H&H M995s both type of magazines feed flawlessly.

-Murkula

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  9. Murkula

Murkula Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    I have also come across a few M995 magazines that have had the feed lips modified by the previous owner. This is how unmodified 95-1 and 95-2 magazines look like loaded with .375 H&H rounds:

M995_mags_02_b.jpg
    Here it's clearly visible how the wider gap between feed lips lets the cartridge rise a bit higher and there's more rim for the bolt to grab.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  10. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Again, many thanks to Murkula for his astute observations and measurements. I'm guessing that although the belted magnums work fine through the 95-1 that the lips on the 95-2 might be too wide to retain the cartridges of the .30-06 family in place.

By the way, these center-feed/double stack magazine hold four rounds of belted magnum ammunition and, as Murkula observes, feed flawlessly. Having a second loaded magazine close at hand came in handy when our host in Namibia asked us to help cull his zebra herd.

11. Johan Lindh

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Smaaland
    Murkula, fantastic reply! Many thanks!

I have myself -1, -2 and 308/6,5x55 magazines and have seen (measured) the differences.

Too bad the M975 never came to be...