Sako TRGs TRG-S is it a Sako or is it a Tikka?

Discussion in 'Sako TRGs' started by gryphon, Nov 22, 2009.

1. gryphon

gryphon Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    My buddy is trying to tell me that my TRG-S is a Tikka and made by the Tikka factory and simply branded a Sako .
    He says this due to the bolt release being on the right side instead of the left.
    I maintain that it is a Sako factory rifle,so members who is right and wrong?
    First pic is the standard black stock,second after a bit of paint!

Attached Files:

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The TRG-s ("s"for "sporter") is a derivative of the TRG sniper rifle. It is thoroughly Sako and was designed and produced long before Tikka and Sako came under the common ownership of Beretta.

3. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    I agree with stonecreek, the TRG-S was produced soley by Sako.

Welcome to the club Gryphon, Sako and Sambar - great combination !

4. gryphon

gryphon Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Thank you for your reply,I believe so myself but I cannot convince my buddy downunder,I have been trying to find a reference to where it was made that i could send him to change his silly idea`s but cannot source any.
    Tar for the welcome also DS

5. gryphon

gryphon Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Whoo Hoo! I was sent the email address for Sako`s Chief Gunsmith and emailed him ... he took the time to email me a reply and stated unequivocally that my Rifle is a Sako (doh) and was made in the Sako factory...lets see my buddy argue that one haha.
    The receiver`s are milled from the same cold hammer forged steel as the Trg Sniper jobs.

6. hogan

hogan Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    I own one of each rifles under discussion here.

The S varies from the 22/42 in only a couple ways, at least when it comes to the receiver/action. _Be assured they are from the same assembly line, or were; since the S is no longer in production best as i know.

You can interchange an S receiver with a 22/42 receiver, bolt is same except for handle. _Only difference is the closed bridge design of the 22/42 versus open on the S, the wider scope base dovetail on the S, and the S has safety lever cut-out which 22/42 does not because the safety lever is inside the triggerguard there. _You can put any M995 action into the 22/42 stock assembly and use the detachable trigger and magazine system._

By milling a notch in the front of a 42 magazine, you can use it in an S rifle. _Barrels interchange perfectly and bolt bodies also interchange.

There is nothing Tikka about these guns.

7. gryphon

gryphon Active Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Thanks,Thats right! The Tikka issue was resolved long ago,my mate still has egg on his face.