Sako TRGs Trg-s 30.378 wby mag

Discussion in 'Sako TRGs' started by bloorooster, Feb 4, 2011.

1. bloorooster

bloorooster Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Well, in light of that subject, I may have the range all to myself, after a couple shots:evil2:goodnight!-Bloo

2. bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    OK...range bag..check!...rifle...check! ammo...check!...targets, hearing protection, football helmet...check! Alrighty then I'm off to the range! Report pending!-Bloo

3. bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Hey Sako fans!...just got back from the range, and I must say Sako's muzzle break must be the finest engineered break in the business. This rifle has the felt recoil of a 30.06! I was astonished, when I slid in behind it the first time, my heart rate jumped up 180, I just had a feeling it was gonna be so much more. The first round left me laughin' at my self for being so worked up. The only bad part was I didn't print the paper! So after about 30 Bucks later I was 2.5" high and dead on for windage. I then went for the group after having a little break. shot # 2 came in on top of last shot printed from the dialing in phase,almost touching, shot #3 jumped about an inch up! This was all shot off of a Harris Bipod and rear bag, I've always complained that the Harris set up shoots high for me, don't really know why, but I always do better off of bags. Anyway, my first outing with the M995, shooting 180g Weatherby Factory ammo (nosler partition) was pretty darn good....I might just keep this one!-Bloo

4. bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Has anyone had similar results or frustrations when using the Harris bi-pods? (I meant to ask this in the previous post)-Bloo

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    Bloo,
    I don't usually have trouble with the two Harris bi-pods I have. One is fixed and one is swivel. I always shoot off bags at the range if I don't take a sled. Don't like them much, either. There's a few stock crackers out there.
    I think you are experiencing something that is effecting the stability of the bi-pod. Especially if you shoot better off bags. That's a stout rifle you have, and on my TRG I have the factory bi-pod which is very robust compared to a Harris.
    S-A

6. bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Thanks S-A, I have always had this with the harris....yes Bags are Better-Bloo

7. bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    I've been doing some research into reloading this bad boy, Look like I can bring it down to around $2 or less per round, less than that with the brass I already have. Per lb of powder, in .243 I can get somewhere around 180-190 rounds, in 30-378 I can get 55-60! Yay!:neutral: Is there anyone else here that shoots this round, Long distance Shooters?-Bloo

8. woodman

woodman Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Bloo,

I did some quick calculations and I think you should be able to load your 30-378 for around .69 cents per round if you already have brass. This does not include the initial expense of purchasing reloading gear.

8 lbs H50BMG powder. approx $156.00

1000 Fed 215 primers. approx $42.00

50 round box of nosler 180 BT's approx $17.00

At 110 grains per round and approx 7000 grains per pound you should get just over 500 rounds with your new 8 pound keg

9. woodman

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Any body ever figure out just exactly what that venison burger actually cost. Dont do it!!!! And if you do dont ever tell your wife!!! I mean it!!

10. bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Thanks Woody, I like your figures way better, how many times can I use my brass I wonder. I remember you saying that you worked with this round before, I want to use 180g partitions, They have a nice BC and from what I shot the other day they seem to do very well in the rifle, but, I only shot it 10 times. Also H50BMG or H870?
    Hmmm...My butcher charges 50 bucks to grind mine up, but I never was good at math!:bigsmile3:-Bloo

11. woodman

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    How many times your brass can be used could open up a hugh debate. There are some dies that limit stretching after a while which may reduce trimming after every sizing. Some calibers use up the brass faster due to many factors. Sometimes primer pockets get loose, necks get too thin.

A lot of people say 10 times a a good avarage.

12. bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    I have heard best results are in 3-5 times, but like you said, I suppose chamber pressures and other variables fall into play-Bloo

13. woodman

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    There are certain things you can do to try and increase the life such as neck sizing instead of full length sizing, this also usually helps to tighten group size but can have negative effects like not being able to extract the spent case for several seconds until the brass cools down. Some handloaders dont like to neck size for there hunting rounds because you never know when you might need a quick follow up shot. Sometimes if a case is not loaded to max the neck sized cases extract perfect every time.

Its all about finding that sweet recipe for hand load sucess time & time again.

Gosh, I just got the urge to go and de-bur some flash holes.

14. bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Thanks Woodman, once this gets underway, I expect I might be asking for more advise.
    As far as your flash holes are concerned......Nah....I'm not gonna start:wink2:-Bloo

15. bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Here is an example of Sako M995 [email protected] 100yds! ( damned flyers!) The second pic is a gallon milk jug @ 250 yds (made a vapor cloud at least 20' in diameter)

Attached Files:

16. woodman

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Bloo,

Gallon Jugs are fun to shoot with a high speed round, I do the same thing when I get a chance. You should try a watermelon sometime.

17. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    With a couple of friends I like to shoot 2-liter soda bottles at 700 and 800 yards. We buy the store brand, preferably "Diet Orange Burst" for less than a dollar apiece. When shooting at them at 800 yards on a slightly windy day, the cost of the target is inconsequential as it takes many more dollars in ammunition to actually hit one! The orange spray is a delight when you do connect. If you want to try this, here's one tip: Try to get the "diet" soda that is sugar-free. The "real" stuff attracts insects like crazy. The last time shot a couple of bottles of sugary stuff we found our target area swarming with bees!