Sako TRGs TRG-42 in .300 mag

Discussion in 'Sako TRGs' started by sakoluvr, Nov 6, 2010.

1. sakoluvr

sakoluvr Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    I am obsessing on one for a designated "beanfield" rifle. Why are the green stocks more expensive than the black stocks? I would like to get a muzzle brake too.

Where should i go to get a rail mount that is less expensive than the Sako issue?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    sakoluvr,
    The green stocked 42's (JRSM235) action and barrel are phosphated and the barrel is also chrome-moly.
    The black JRSM135 has a blued barrel and it is just a standard barrel.
    If you get one, I have a muzzle brake I will give you a good deal on (new). My TRG is suppressed so I've never used it. I would get an extra magazine first. If you were looking at the .338 Lapua, then the brake should be first.
    Well, wasn't trying to sell you anything but that's why the green stocked TRG 42 is more expensive.
    Regards,
    S-A

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    sakoluvr,
    See my Consumer Alert in this thread in case you buy a used TRG.
    S-A

4. sakoluvr

sakoluvr Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    Thanks for the info. yeah, I found out the difference between the rifles. I am looking at a package deal right know, but i will keep you in mind concerning the muzzle brake.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    sakoluvr,
    No worries about the muzzle brake. It was just a side thought. If I ever sell the rifle and the suppressor isn't part of the deal, then I might be wise to hold on to it. No plan to sell the TRG, though.
    S-A

6. sakoluvr

sakoluvr Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    Well, tell me more about your TRG. Did you get the chrome barrel? Did the rifle meet your expectations? What scope and mount did you go with? Thanks!

7. sakoluvr

sakoluvr Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    Oh that is sweet! Thanks for the pics. I have a TRG waiting for me with a phone call on Monday. It is a .300 Win Mag, Sako muzzle brake and a Badger Ordnance Picatinny Rail.

I will be using the rifle as a "beanfield" gun to hunt (and have fun) with. I do reload, so components for the .300 are relatively inexpensive and easily available.

Will I be making a mistake not getting the chrome barrel?

It may be a while before I get to shoot it after I get it. I want to research scopes, and try to get something that will serve me for hunting primarily. I may shop Leupold first. Suggestions?

I do not plan on getting a bipod, because the "tower" stands that I will hunt from will not accomidate a bipod. Instead, I will use a front bag rest.

What kind of case do you have? I understand that these rifles come in a cardboard box. Geesh. You would think a hard case would be thrown in for that price.

Thanks for any other ideas/tips.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    sakoluvr,
    Thanks, and no problem. I don't think you will be making a mistake on the barrel Unless you are going to start a war in the beanfield, you most likely won't shoot it out from up in the towers! Just keep any rapid fire sessions to a minimum. I heard my titanium suppressor will heat 7degrees per shot if shooting steady. I don't have any statistics on the barrels but there are a lot of factors that will affect it. Powders, type bullets, etc. I tend to baby all my shooters. You know about all that if you reload, anyway.
    I have a Pelican case for mine. The foam is cut to hold the rifle, suppressor, two mags, bipod, and the paperwork to carry to support the suppressor. BATFE requirement. Also the tools, and and extra turrets for my scope. Once I get where I'm going, I have a drag bag - but if I'm at a range I just leave it in the Pelican since I won't be moving around.
    I have a couple other rifles that I have Leupold scopes on. If you are tactical minded like me in this arena for a TRG in .300 mag. I would look at the Leupold MR/T or LR/T line. I think those would be an excellent choice without having to pay over $2k for an optic solution.
    Keep us posted on how your "build" goes.
    Good Shooting,
    S-A

9. sakoluvr

sakoluvr Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    Thanks again for all the helpful information

10. sakoluvr

sakoluvr Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    What size 3-ring sako mount would I need for a 30mm tube and a 50mm objective? Thinking a low may be cutting it close?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    sakoluvr,
    I'm using a medium with a 56 mm objective and it is "just" 1/4" off the barrel - I'd like it to be around 1/8" but it is just fine since it avoids shadow form my suppressor . Plenty of room for a lens cover, too. The taper of the scope begins 2-1/8" forward of the receiver face and maintains that 1/4" the rest of the way forward. Depending how long the scope is and the placement considering eye relief, I would go with a low in your case, but buy the mount from someone you can exchange it if you need to. I'm almost certain with a 50-mm the low would work fine for you.
    S-A

12. sakoluvr

sakoluvr Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    Thanks again. After doing some research and measuring, I am going to go with the low mount.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    sakoluvr,
    Here is what Sako says: http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/TRGtactmount.pdf
    Remember these are "outside diameter"
    I have seen blogs where people using a Night Force 50 mm objective say they are close and it's more of a problem getting a lens cover on. I'll still go with my last post but suggest you know what scope you are using and do the math.
    Regards,
    S-A

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    sokoluvr.
    OK. Looks like I was writing while you were posting