Sako TRGs Trg-42 .338

Discussion in 'Sako TRGs' started by m995, Jul 7, 2010.

1. m995

m995 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    What handloads has anybody found to be a favorite 1:10 , factory brake , QD mount , burris xtr 6-24X50 , have been shooting 215 spitzer bt , 250 HPBT & 300 scenars, groups have been way bigger than expected , I eliminated myseft as the problem ( I also shoot a m75 .300wm tack driver that forces me pick my hat back up )

2. m995

m995 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Switched scope 1/2"gp @ 200 300gn scenars 75gn v v 165

3. jtinin

jtinin Member

Rifle is a 1 in 12 TRG-42 with factory brake, Nightforce 5.5x22 and Sako triple rings, which I got "free" from a close friend early this year (long story but bottom line is a couple HK's that he had on loan for the last several years plus several cases of ammo, will never be coming back home - plus he takes the rifle out west when I can not - which is why the Leupold 4.5x14 got replaced ;-).
    We have had very good luck (under 1/2 MOA for 3 rnd groups in the mid west at 100 yrds) with Lapua 250gr Scenar seated 12 ths from first contact with H5010 (95grs plus or minus) in Hornday cases and friends had good luck to a mile with 250gr SMK seated the same or nearly at first contact (note with SMKs this is a longer OAL than the Scenar's and does not work in the mag or eject loaded very well) in Lapua brass with 93gr Retumbo. Both loads were with Federal 215 primers. As always work up you loads, cross check loadings from multiple sources, follow all safe reloading practices and these loads may not be safe in your rifle.
    Had a few interesting shoots when the front stock came lose and was getting two groups (1st shot or moving the rifle vs post recoil) starting half inch apart and working upto over an inch before found the issues ... however ... was just after cleaning out from shooting Moly coated bullets and some of the guys though might have toasted the barrel (did not).
    Regards
    John

4. kiwi1

kiwi1 Member

Hi There, I have a TRG 42 with a 1/10 twist barrel. I will be working up loads for 300gr Sierras in the next few weeks so will keep you posted. Regards Kiwi 1

5. irb

irb Member

Im really thing about making the jump to A TRG42. There is one now that has my eye for about $2600. How to judge whether Im geting a quality TRG or bottom of the barrel. What normally is included such as clip, rail. What stocks are base and what is the difference between phosforus and black as well as others. Are all barrels threaded for mussel brake? I close to making a deal trading my Magnum RESESRCH SAKO 338 on one.

6. 5280sakonut

5280sakonut Well-Known Member

S-A: I had made a post some time back asking about expected accuracy in the TRG line. Assuming a competent shooter and some time spent developing handloads, what would be your estimate of expected accuracy from a TRG rifle? For example, after developing handloads for my stable of Sako sporters, I know I can get 0.5 MOA from these rifles with 3 shot groups. Barrel lengths on these rifles range from 22 3/8 inches to 24 1/2 inches (approximate numbers) and weights are 6 1/2 lbs to 8 1/2 lbs sans optics. Just wondering how much better one could expect to do with the TRG.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    Based on your input, I'd say training and an acute understanding of the elements is the answer to your question.
    S-A

8. 5280sakonut

S-A: My question was related to the overall design of the TRG which is intended to provide the highest standard of accuracy over a standard sporter configuration and the most accurate rifle Sako produces. It is a big, heavy, rigid and extremely concentric platform. Given the TRG design and physical characteristics, it should outperform a sporter side-by-side on an average day. I'm interested in how this translates to real world performance in your experience. Is it your most accurate rifle? What kind of 3, 5 or 10 shot groups can it shoot on a good day at 100 or 200 yards? Does it shoot equally well cool or hot?

9. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    It sounds as if some confusion might have developed in this thread between the dedicated sniper/long range specialty rifle, the TRG, and the sporter derived from its action, the Model 995 which is also called the TRG-s ("s" for "sporter", I have to assume).

The Model 995 was made in a relatively short run, but chambered for a variety of calibers. I own three of them (7mm STW, .338 Win, .375 H&H) and all are superbly accurate. I chose to take the .338 with me to Africa for plains game, not so much because I needed the power of the .338, but because it was so outstandingly accurate, consistently shooting groups well under two inches at its 250 yard zero range.

There has been lots of discussion on the misgivings about the seemingly fragile bedding system of the TRG-s, which amounts to only a small lump of stock material fitting a keyway machined in the bottom of the receiver ring. However, even with the relatively hard-recoiling calibers I have, there has been no deterioration in the bedding of these rifles.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    other
    Stone,
    When I hear people speak of the .338 in the context you mention, I have been under the impression they refer to the .338 Win Mag. Your explanation of the TRG s is quite reasonable. What I'm talking about is the .338 Lapua Magnum, which was not developed with big game hunting in mind, although more than capable (where legal).
    I also agree with the bedding on the TRGs. Although I didn't think it necessary, I took a hard look at this on my 42. So far, so good. Nor marks of stress at all. I do think the AI is a bit more robust, but shot per shoot basically equal in every right.
    I spoke to my experience with the TRG-42, which I thought was the basis of the question.
    Thanks for chiming in.
    S-A

11. 5280sakonut

S-A and Stone: your comments are appreciated and the combination of both did answer all my questions. I have recently become aware of both the TRG-s and the TRG models and was wanting some real-life feedback on accuracy performance as these models are not often spoken of in the forum. In true Sako form, they have done a thoughtful and masterful job on these rifles given the intended purpose. I do have a 338 Win Mag and it is a hunting rifle that fills a nice niche in my battery from a pure hunting perspective. No experience with the 338 Lapua. Thanks again.

12. 5280sakonut

S-A: Shooting at 1200+ yards, what scope and rings are you using? Do you have any experience with Nightforce optics?

13. 5280sakonut

S-A: Superb. That is a very serious set of hardware and thanks for the pics. You are a pretty darn good photographer. I'm just trying to keep my reflection and my feet out of the pictures I take!