Torque stettings for scope and action on Finnlight.

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks for gunsmithing your own Sako' started by Yityah, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Yityah

Yityah Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    I am getting ready to mount a scope on my Finnlight 85 using Leupold ringmounts and have a question regarding the torque settings. From what I have read the ring screws should be 17 in/lbs however I am having trouble finding what torque the ringmount base should be. I do plan to lap the rings and use blue loctite on the rings and bases. If anyone has the torque setting for the ringmount base I would appreciate hearing from you.
    When removing the stock I noticed the front action screw was set at about 30 in/lbs and the rear was about 25 in/lbs. Does this seem normal? Your suggestions are appreciated.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Please reconsider using Loctite. There is absolutely no need for it & it will cause you untold problems should you ever need to remove the screws. I've never used Loctite in over 50 years of mounting scopes & have never had one come loose. There are many bases for Sako dovetails that mount by driving them on the taper with a friction fit that have no screws whatsoever, so why would one need to Loctite the screws on the ringmount clamp? They are designed to self tighten from the recoil, so there is no need for a "torque setting". Just snug them up good & after a few rounds they will be as tight as they will ever get. There are no absolutes or exact torque settings for any screw on a firearm. Those that say otherwise are in the business of selling you a torque wrench or have been drinking the gunwriter Kool-Aid. The front action screw should be tightened first. If your action is bedded properly it will bottom out rather suddenly & will be obvious when it is good & tight. The rear action screw should then be snugged up so you have no worry of it coming loose but don't over tighten it like a gorilla. You will find that temperature & humidity will change whatever torque setting you use anyway, so checking that your action screws are tight before you shoot or hunt is a much better policy than relying on a torque wrench. Just food for thought.

stonecreek likes this.
  3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    What Paulson said: Amen, Amen, Amen!

1. Keep chemicals away from your mount screws.
    2. Keep gorilla fists away from your mount screws.
    3. Just use common sense and a firm hand. The actual tightness you achieve with a given setting on a torque wrench will vary greatly with the condition of the threads and the kind of lubrication (or dirt) they might have on them. "Inch pounds" of torque is fairly meaningless in the real world unless controlled for these variables.