Took A Couple Rare Sakos Gopher Hunting

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by kirkbridgershooters, Aug 19, 2019.

1. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    The summer has been going fast, I have been after prairie dogs a few time, fishing some and golfing too. The dog days of August can be hot and not conducive to shooting gophers, but i left earlier this morning to find a few before it got hot.

I took the L46 22 Hornet and the Bofors marked Mannlicher rifle in 222 mag and heated the barrels up a bit.

I even took the real old Winchester Low wall in 22 long and shot a few with that...

thumbnail_IMG_7364.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7365.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7363.jpg

6x47l, Hillcountry, Rocky and 8 others like this.

2. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    full length barrel ? looks that way, and in .222Mag with grip cap and Bofors marking, I'm thinking you have a pretty rare rifle there. I've got the carbine, but I can never recall seeing one with full length rifle barrel on the L461 action.

Good shooting, BTW. thanks for sharing!

DeerGoose

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    And with some very pretty wood, also!

I'm not sure there were any .222 Magnums chambered after the Bofors mark went away. Seems like Sako dropped the caliber by then, but maybe there are some non-Bofors .222 Magnums floating around. Maybe if someone has one they'll chime in here. But the full stock/full length barrel sure as heck is rare in this caliber and model.

BTW: I just bought another .222 Magnum, this one in an L461 20" Mannlicher. Expecting it to come to my dealer in another week or so.

douglastwo likes this.
  4. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Is that the one that was on Gunbroker? I looked at that and seriously considered the Buy it Now option, but finally decided to keep my powder dry.

The full-stock .222 Mag rifle is a fantastic find. I have always wondered if such a thing existed. And, it's got really nice wood. I'm envious.

Rimfire Winchester single-shots are cool. I have a really neat Winder Musket that's been relined for .22LR and fitted with a fancy stock, hooked buttplate, and a globe front sight. It's a tack driver. I just put a new hammer spring in it and I can tell you those coil springs are no fun to install. We don't have prairie dogs and groundhogs in southern Arizona so I have to be content shooting it at paper.

5. piper235b

piper235b Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    In Australia, they were importing 222 Rem Mag's into the A series. They are very rare rifles here; I can't imagine there was a big demand for 222 Rem Mag by then. I have an AI sporter and sadly I don't know what other configurations were brought in. But I'm guessing that if they brought in sporters then I'd expect varmints too.

6. kirkbridgershooters

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I did have a 222mag in a carbine and it wasn’t “Bofors” marked. I sold it to help pay for the 218 Bee...

deergoose likes this.
  7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks to Piper and Kirk for the info on post-Bofors .222 Magnums. I had never come across one. Glad to know that such thing does exist.

There seem to be several examples of models and calibers that went to Australia but not to the U.S. It would have been up to the importer as to which models they ordered, and the U.S. importer(s) seemed to be less interested in the less popular calibers than other importers across the globe.

Icebear: Yes, I bought it off of Gunbroker. The seller has been reducing his collection over several months and has listed some very nice Sakos, among others. After the auction he was kind enough to write me to tell me that he had overlooked a tiny drying crack in a "knot" at the butt of the stock and sent detailed photos of the defect, wanting me to know before consummating the sale. It looked fairly inconsequential, so I simply asked him to take care of the shipping costs as "compensation" for the little defect which was unknown when I bid. He cheerfully agreed and we're both happy. I find the great majority of people who buy and sell Sakos to be honest and accommodating.

8. CHAUCER

CHAUCER Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    I have seen a number of references to Sako having ceased production of the .222 Rem. Magnum after the era of Bofors barrel marking, but it simply is not so. I have seen (and owned) a number of later .222 R. Mag. rifles in both sporter and hb configurations. I currently have two Vixen HB rifles, serial numbers in the 106xxx range. I have a Vixen Sporter #112xxx. Perhaps of some interest: I have a Sako AI .222 R. Mag. #152768 with the Stoeger hangtag listing production on June 13, 1976. It is interesting that the id of this rifle is rubber-stamped (not printed) "Sporter High Stock" and the caliber is also stamped ".222 Mag." That might suggest production in this caliber is not regular or continuous.

Sean Hodges and deergoose like this.
  9. kirkbridgershooters

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Here is my 222 mag Mannlicher, not "Bofors" marked. The carbines aren't as scarce as the Mannlicher rifles, that is why I sold it and kept the 222 mag Mannlicher rifle.It is pictured with another rare gun, the 223 in a Mannlicher...

thumbnail_IMG_3810 (1).jpg thumbnail_IMG_6110 (1).jpg

10. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    You've got some amazing wood on those Sakos. I don't think I've ever seen half a dozen Sakos with factory wood that nice in one place.

deergoose and Sean Hodges like this.
  11. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Pure envy.

deergoose likes this.