Short Actions To shoot or not

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by 1javy, May 11, 2021.

1. 1javy

1javy Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Just acquired a All 308. The gun is super clean. No marks or rust on blueing. Looks new. Barrel looks really good. Stock has nice fiddle grain structure with a red tint. Checkering is great no gouges or scratches. Really light blemishes in stock finish not scratches. The only thing I can say about the stock finishes is that there are some very small chips in the finish that do not make a dent just finish chipped. Each about the size of pencil lead or slightly bigger.

my question is that as nice as the rifle is if I start shooting it it will get more blemishes. Should I just put it up. Riding in a ranger and pickup will not help it.

what you guys think.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Your A-II .308 is an excellent shooter but is not "collectible" and probably will not become so during the lifetime of anyone reading this forum. If you have a shooting use for it by all means use it and shoot it. If you have no shooting use for it then you really have no need of owning it, so sell it and enjoy the use of the value it represents in some more rewarding way.

paulsonconstruction likes this.
  3. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    A mint gun has never been fired by its owner or owners. A mint gun has been test fired at the factory. That means to me that it has been fired. A mint Sako should come in it’s original box with its original paperwork, everything included, hang tags and protective paper washers on the sling swivels and so on. Anything less than that would be, IMO , “minty” or “excellent” condition. Chips and dings and scratches each have a small percentage of devaluation of course all the way down to the shooters and beaters we all know of and understand.

From there..it’s all about your desires and affections concerning its purpose. I have rifles that I won’t take out in rain or snow but on a sunny day I may. I have rifles that I don’t mind getting wet in a days use as long as I take the time required to care for them afterwards. I have rifles that I feel should not go out at all for fear of “the worse case scenario” and what it would possibly ruin as far as its rarely and value.
    But...I shoot them all at one time or another. I don’t really go for mint or unfired guns just for that reason. Not to say I will not snag up a L46 in 218 Bee in a fullstock for a price that could be half its “Value”
    In excellent condition (dreams I’ll never see) but I think you see what I mean.
    Shoot it..hunt with it..enjoy it for what it is intended for. You can protect it from damage with a proper case for travel..you can carry it afield taking caution to avoid brush and trees and rocks and such as needed. Just enjoy it as you need it to be.

The old hippie

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  4. 1javy

1javy Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks guys.
    Guess I will get it scoped and loads built and enjoy it.
    Again thanks

Bottom Gun likes this.
  5. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    You made the right decision. Enjoy.

Unclekax likes this.
  6. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Shoot it and hunt with it, enjoy.
    As for banging it around in a UTV or making it a pickup gun, I would refer you to a plastic stocked 700 for those chores.

7. 1javy

1javy Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Yes I have some others with manners or McMillan stocks to bang around.