To our Aussie Mates down under!

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by L61R, Nov 8, 2019.

1. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    G’day Mates!

Just learned from the radio that there are several very serious wild fires in New South Wales, Australia and also a long lasting drought.

Several families have already abandoned their homes which must absolutely terrifying!

And livestock and wildlife has taken a severe hit as well.

We have several members from NSW, and I just wanted to say that I hope you all are safe and sound in spite of all the fires and prevailing drought.

Take good care of yourselves and your loved ones!

Stay Safe!!

Jim

2. susanna

susanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    jim.
    thank you few thinking of our people. im safe where im located, have several friends in the mid nth coast & from the blue mountains west of sydney who are in the thick of it, so far have escaped unharmed .
    far from finished, wind has backed of a little (sat) which yesterday was a major problem.
    susanna

piper235b and L61R like this.
  3. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Well done Jim.

piper235b and L61R like this.
  4. Foxhunter223

Foxhunter223 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Hi Jim,
    I am a volunteer driver with our local Community Transport and today we were recalled from our daily duties to be placed around the area where the fires are to act as emergency evacuation transport for aged, in-firmed or people with disabilities. I drew the short straw and was allocated to two small towns in the hills behind Coffs Harbour about a 40 minute drive in a small bus. Fairly uneventful day as most people were very well organised. Trouble now is looks like the wife and I will have to evacuate from our home tomorrow. Packing a few things tonight and will see how the weather holds tomorrow.

Pete

L61R, susanna and piper235b like this.
  5. Branxhunter

Branxhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Hey Pete, good on you for giving up your time to look out for others. From all reports it sounds like the conditions tomorrow are going to be horrific up that way. Stay safe.

We are still very green down this way (south-west Vic); we have been getting 10-20mm of rain each week for the last 6-7 weeks. Snagged 20mm last week. We couldn't get grass to burn if we wanted down here at the moment, but we will have huge fuel loads later this summer.

Marcus.

Foxhunter223 and piper235b like this.
  6. Foxhunter223

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Marcus you're only telling me this to make me jealous, it worked :)

On a serious note, yes today the conditions have deteriorated and have been cleaning gutters of leaves, set up a soaker hose on top of the roof as we are in the zone apparently. We are discussing whether to evacuate ourselves tonight or stay.

Pete

7. dhv

dhv Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Thanks.

I'm in southern NSW and the current fires are in the northern half. That will change eventually as all predictions are for a horror summer.
    I volunteer with a group that run the evacuation centres are we are on standby to head up and relieve the locals.
    Here's an article that gives a good summary. My uncle and cousin are the father & son team pictured.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ring-fire-Map-shows-areas-risk-bushfires.html

8. Foxhunter223

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    dhv,
    That is a very in-depth article. Mate if you end up in or near Coffs Harbour, the beer is in the fridge and is cold.

Pete

dhv likes this.
  9. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
    Thanks for all your answers and the article!

We get reports on every news broadcast on TV up here in Sweden now but the article was very interesting and tragic at the same time.

I hope conditions will improve very soon and I do hope all our Mates (and Sheilas!) in NSW will stay safe!!

Jim