1. Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim
    Dismiss Notice

To Grendel or Not ???

Discussion in 'Members Projects' started by WillD, Jan 30, 2013.

1. WillD

WillD Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    1st I've already been told this is a sacrilegious idea but I'm here seeking more technical advice before I decide what to do.

I just purchased a .223 A1 Deluxe for an excellent price and I'm considering a Grendel conversion. I'm here seeking more technical advice about converting.

I guess my major question concerns bolt availability/conversion. What are my bolt options? Is there a Sakosmith I could/should consult if I decide to proceed with this project?

TIA, Will

2. WillD

WillD Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I found this on Saubier.com. Unless someone more knowledgeable than myself disagrees we can probably close this post.

"That is a pretty hard conversion to make, the mag box of the PPC is wider, bolt head bigger and the follower different. Only option I can think of is to find someone that will trade you the PPC bolt for the 222 bolt. There was a guy on GB that had a couple of them, I think he was a Gunsmith as I bought 78 and 94 Finnfire bolts from him off his auction. His PPC bolts were new factory parts and went for around 2-250.00. You would be better off selling your 222 and buying the PPC version especially from a function viewpoint."

Cheers, Will

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I'm not familiar with what you are calling a "Grendel" conversion. But if it is the 6.5 Grendel it uses as its parent case the 7.62x39, so a regular .223 Vixen can be converted. (1) The bolt face is simple to ream from it's diameter accommodating a .375" case head (.223) to large enough for a .445" case head (PPC, etc.) The 6.8 Remington uses a .420" head, so it is also small enough. (2) If you have any question about the feed rails or follower, simply place a 7.62x39 (or PPC cartridge) in the magazine and see how it does. It shouldn't be rocket science for a competent gunsmith to make minor modifications, if needed, for it to feed.

I would start with something a little "less precious" than a Deluxe A-I, but it's your rifle and you should do what pleases you with it.

My curiosity got the best of me, so I just now went to my safe and pulled out an L461 and stuffed some 7.62x39 cartridges in it. Four won't quite go down and let the bolt close, but three in the magazine fit and feed just fine. Of course you can't put them all the way into the .223 chamber, but as far as function there is no problem getting three shells in the magazine and feeding them flawlessly into the chamber with unmodified rails and follower.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013