Timney for 300win mag model 85

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Publius, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Publius

Publius Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Guys, sorry if this has been covered multiple times but I'm stumped. All the different lettered actions and numbered actions. Here is what I have. I have a model 85 in 300 win mag that is about 5 years old that I want to put a Timney in. Timney only offers 1 trigger for Sako which is described for the A action, L461,L579, and L61. Will this work?

2. sraaw

sraaw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    No From what I understand the timney triggers wont work on a mod85.

3. Publius

Publius Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Thank you. Strange they don't make a trigger for it.

4. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    I have seen a couple Bix'n Andy triggers on model 85. Insanely light trigger, adjustable between 75 to 800 grams, if that is what you are looking for.

I have installed a few Timneys on Mosin nagants and Mausers and I wasn't impressed. If their mosin and mauser triggers are to go by Timney would be a downgrade from the Sako factory trigger imho.

5. Publius

Publius Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    BixnAndy are too rich for my blood. I've been happy with Timney on my model 700's. The Sako is my BIL's that I haven't even seen yet. He just called me and said the trigger is awful. He doesn't know a whole lot about guns so he might have been oiling the trigger and it is just dirty. When I see him this weekend I will thoroughly clean it and adjust as needed. I appreciate the help.

6. Publius

Publius Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi
    Can someone give me a link to a good trigger adjustment vid or instructions with pictures? I've done a search but can only find instructions for pull weight. I would also like to know about the overtravel and sear engagement.

7. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    The pull weight is the only adjustable thing in the factory trigger and it is at its best around 1,0 to 1,5 kg (2.2 to 3.3 lbs). 1 kg is the lightest it is designed for. If you go much below 1 kg you will run the risk of the trigger not resetting correctly every time. I know people have mitigated the resetting issue by installing a light spring, but I don't know the specs of the spring. The feel of the trigger can get mushy when adjusted this light.