• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Tikka rings fit a Sako

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Tracy Redpath

I bought an A1 Deluxe Lightweight Rifle yesterday and didn't come with rings. I think I saw Tikka rings at Sheels. Will they fit on my Sako. I really didn't look at them as I bought the gun at the next GS that I went to. TIA for any input

No Tikka rings will not work. They are proprietary to Tikka’s dovetail. Sako utilizes it’s own proprietary dovetail pattern. Sako brand either vintage or modern, or Leupold ringmounts. They’re are a smattering of other brands but the one’s mentioned are simply easier to come by.

OK thanks for the info. Leupold's is what I'll get then
As Rick has stated, Leupold ringmounts work great, they’re reasonable regarding cost and many choices exist. I’ve utilized them many times myself.

My only suggestion going forward would be to consider this; you’ve purchased a somewhat vintage A1 deluxe. Some folks would consider keeping the ringmounts period to the rifle, while some may not even give it a thought.

It’s kind of like buying the correct rally wheels for a vintage auto. Some are adamant about period correctness, while some are fine with aftermarket products.

Another factor is of course how you plan to scope the rifle. Obviously, the choice is yours to make and either option will serve you well, just thought I’d point out a small nuance. Good luck.

PS - we’d love to know the caliber and see photos if and when time permits.

The Leupold rings work, but I strongly prefer the original type Sako rings for both appearance and function. They are more expensive but in my book they are worth it. Another thing you might consider is Warne rings. They are no longer made, but I saw a set on eBay the other day for $29.95 which is a bargain. That set was fixed mount; Warne also used to make some really excellent QD rings which can often be found on eBay in the $50-60 range or sometimes cheaper. If your rifle has iron sights, it's nice to have QD rings to be able to take the scope on and off without losing the zero. Here's a set of Warne rings on an AIII carbine.
AIII Carbine 30-06 2.JPG

Sean, I do agree with you to a point. Most of my older L models wear the vintage and period correct Redfields or Leopolds. Where I am torn is that I have two older model L579 heavy barreled rifles, one 22-250 and one 243. One has a Redfield 3x9 and one has the old 2x8 Bausch & Lomb in the Kuharsky mount. I have a couple of Tikka's with first focal plane scopes with more magnification, 30mm tubes and 50mm objective lenses. I'd really like to have one like these on my old Sako's but know it wouldn't look right. Besides I've never seen the old Sako rings in 30mm. Not sure if the high Leopold rings would work with the heavy barrel and 50mm lens or not.

You could use Optilocks with 30mm rings. There's a chart on the Sako website that tells you what height ring is needed for what objective diameter. I think you can also get 30mm rings for the old Redfield mounts.

Sean, I do agree with you to a point. Most of my older L models wear the vintage and period correct Redfields or Leopolds. Where I am torn is that I have two older model L579 heavy barreled rifles, one 22-250 and one 243. One has a Redfield 3x9 and one has the old 2x8 Bausch & Lomb in the Kuharsky mount. I have a couple of Tikka's with first focal plane scopes with more magnification, 30mm tubes and 50mm objective lenses. I'd really like to have one like these on my old Sako's but know it wouldn't look right. Besides I've never seen the old Sako rings in 30mm. Not sure if the high Leopold rings would work with the heavy barrel and 50mm lens or not.
CVCOBRA1

I agree for sure if the gentleman is wanting to mount a 30mm tube. Since he did not articulate what his intentions were I assumed he’d stay with a 1” tube. I shouldn’t assume, and you’re right about vintage rings - at least in my experience and to the best of my knowledge, they were not produced in 30 mm.

I do believe you’d be fine with Leupold highs and a 50mm objective on a Sako HB.

Also, shot one of our Tikka’s today as we are leaving on a damage control cow elk hunt next Saturday. It’s a stainless T3 lite in 7mm-08. It serves as a back up to our Sakos. This rifle is superbly accurate. It’s a keeper. Eventually it will go to one of the grandkids. Take care.

I just ordered the Sako Optilock bases and rings. They look like pretty good rings. I don't know how a Leupold 4.5 X 14 with turrets is going to look like as I'm taking it off my Remington 700 .222. I really like that scope so I hope its not ungainly looking

Latest posts

Back