Tikka M695 Master Sporter

Discussion in 'Valmet and Tikka' started by Ryboman, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Ryboman

Ryboman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hi guys - I'm trying to determine if any Tikka 695's were made with a Master Sporter stock. The old Tikka spec sheet I have shows them as available, but I've never seen any for sale. Thanks.

2. terenceh

terenceh Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Yorkshire
    Hi Ryboman,

Yes-according to my 2002 UK Tikka catalogue, the M695 Master Sporter was available in a range of calibres from 25-06 up to 9.3x62, with an M695 Mag version available in 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag and 338 Win Mag.

Optional extras included a single set trigger, stainless steel barrel and stainless steel action.

Hope this helps.

terenceh.

Ryboman likes this.
  3. Ryboman

Ryboman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Thanks for the response terenceh! I have the Tikka Master Sporter spec sheet that agrees with everything you've said, including the options. It's just that I have never seen one for sale and I've been watching for quite a few years. I really like those stocks as I've been an Anschutz 22lr guy and the Tikka Sporter Stocks are clearly reminiscent of the older Anschutz competition stocks. But, I've only ever seen the 595's with the Master Sporter stock for sale.

So now, in the interest of full disclosure, I should point out that I do, in fact, own a brand new long action Master Sporter stock. This came about early in 2016 when three of these stocks suddenly showed up on the BerettaUSA Store website. I was shocked to say the least, so I immediately purchased one @$499. When I got the stock, it turned out to have been mislabeled and it was actually a 595 stock.

At that point I feared that all three had been mislabeled, but I went ahead and pressed Beretta for information and finally got it touch with a knowledgeable inventory guy to whom I sent the proper distance measurement between the 695 action screws, so that he could check the other two stocks. It was then determined that the one I got was, in fact mislabeled, but the other two were correct. I exchanged mine for the correct one and the other 695 stock was promptly sold to someone else. Apparently, these three stocks were found deep in the bowels of the Tikka inventory and the two 695 stocks were thought to be the only ones and represented the end of any current or future inventory for the M695.

So, I now know of at least two of these in existence. My quandary at this point is whether to keep this stock pristine as an investment, or just mount it to my .270 Win M695 and enjoy it. (I'm a paper puncher, not a hunter). One can certainly argue that a good composite stock (say, McM for ex) would be more stable than wood and that form should always follow function. But, one cannot argue against the beauty of the wood. Advice from anyone on the forum would be greatly appreciated. I should have mentioned that my plan would be to rebarrel the 695 to .280 Rem (~27").

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016