Tikka M595 .223 Sporter

Discussion in 'Valmet and Tikka' started by ap3572001, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    EGW makes very good rail for the 595, and it’s $39.99, so it’s also a very good value. Contessa and Talley used to make them, you’d have to check around for those. More costly and I doubt the quality is any better than EGW.

2. ap3572001

ap3572001 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Thank You. I am a bit confused with it. The gun I bought has Warne Rings that are made for Tikka. They are attached to the receiver. I also know of Optilock rings and mounts. There are also rails being made for them . As far as mounting scope on these rifles (m595) , is one option better than the other or is it just a preference ? Which would give the best results? I do not not have much experience with Tikka rifles . This Tikka Sporter Master is my first one.

3. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    There’s nothing at all wrong with the Warne rings you have, as long as they suit your needs regarding scope size etc. Optilocks are every bit as good This all boils down to preference unless you purchase optics which won’t mount within the tolerances in the ringmounts. The rail system which screws to the top of the receiver simply offers greater flexibility. Having no idea what height your Warne’s are is something you’ll need to play with once you decide on an optic. They may simply not work because of a height issue. But you won’t know until you try. You can also stay with ringmounts but you may need to purchase a higher set. Hope this helps.

4. ap3572001

ap3572001 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    Thank You for clarification . Who do You think makes best rail for M595 Tikka Master? I understand that there are several ways a person can mount a scope on Tikka M595, but what mounting system was specifically designed for the gun ? Just Optilocks? I know people say that they are expensive, but aren't they original mounts/rings designed for the gun ?

5. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Yes, the Optilock ringmounts would be the factory designed mounts for the M595 and these would be my first preference as long as they would work for my optic.

However, any ringmount which is 16.5 MM compatible is specifically designed to mount to Tikka’s receiver. Warne, Talley, Leupold etc....In other words, each of these are specifically designed to properly marry to the dovetail.

When it comes to rails, I feel most all are of very good quality. Most builders are of mil-spec quality. Contessa, Talley, EGW are all very good.

If I were you, I’d consider my optic first, then consider mounting systems second. Reason? If you keep it simple, mounts will be straight forward. If you go to an extreme, then your mourning system may need to be extreme as well.

6. ap3572001

ap3572001 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US California
    I agree that I have to pick optic first. Say if You were mounting a large 30mm scope say like BUSHNELL TACTICAL ELITE 6-24×50. (?). At this point , I am leaning towards just getting the best rail out there and have the flexibility with whatever tactical rings I like. Now I will have to see which rail to buy. Want to get the best available for M595

7. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    That sounds like a great direction to head. Good luck.

8. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The Warne mounts are of excellent design and quality. I'd recommend them if they are compatible with your choice of scopes. I have a set of Warne QD mounts on one of my Sakos and I wish Warne was still making Sako rings. The problem with an add-on Picatinny rail is that it raises the scope very high, although the adjustable cheekpiece on the Sporter should allow you to compensate for that.