Tikka LSA55

Discussion in 'Valmet and Tikka' started by Guest, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Banned

Hi there all,

Im new to this board - so a big G'day from New Zealand :)

Anyways, I have just brought a Tikka LSA55 308 in basically brand new condition - apart from the previous owner cut down the barrel to 19". What I would like to know is some basic background info on this rifle. What era? 1970's - 80's? Good points? Bad points - potential problems? Reputation?

It seems like a handy little rifle with a neat little action and the price seemed pretty good approx at US$200.

Any info to fill in my total ????? would be much appreciated,

Cheers.

2. Guest

Guest Banned

The Tikka LSA-55 is an excellent rifle. Its strong points are superb accuracy and an exceptionally smooth action. Most of the Tikkas I have fired will do better than 1" at 100 yards. Some are fussy about loads, so if it doesn't shoot, try changing the ammo. The action is the smoothest I've seen; the only thing that comes close is the German Krico, which is considerably more expensive. The only weak point I can think of is that the detachable magazines sometimes give trouble, and spares are difficult to find and sometimes expensive. The action is a bit of a pain to work on, it takes three hands to assemble it back into the stock, but I've seen much worse. The stock is also a tad clunky but that's easy to alter if you're handy with tools. With the radically shortened barrel, you may want to consider reshaping the stock anyway, since it is going to be sort of funny looking with the stock that was designed for the 23" barrel.

Since the barrel is cut-off, be sure to check the crown to make sure it is cut properly and not damaged. With the short barrel, you may want to play with handloads to reduce the flash and muzzle blast. To minimize flash and blast, you want a relatively light bullet (relative to what you plan to shoot with it, e.g. 150 grains for deer) and a relatively fast burning powder. DO NOT USE BALL POWDERS! Ball powders require a long barrel for complete combustion and will give you a huge fireball if you use them in a short barrel. I know this one from experience - I tried Hodgdon H335 in a short-barrelled Sako in .30-06 and when I fired it, a spectator said it was the best deer load he had ever seen because I could kill my deer and roast it with the same shot.

If the rifle is in decent condition, you got an excellent price on an excellent rifle. Have fun.

3. Guest

Guest Banned

Thanks for the info! I am currently shortening the stock a bit as it does look a tad strange. I am getting a load of 130 grains made up that I will try out but I will take your advise and take along a selection when I try them out. Its a pity the mag wont load from the top when in the action - then I would semi permantly fit it in place. They are asking some serious prices for replacements!!!!

Cheers...

4. Guest

Guest Banned

[​IMG] Hi loose one . I have m55 tikka 308 this rifle has stock 20" barrel (fluted) very acurate . I found (after a lot of shagging around) the rifle just loves 180gr winchester super x (I dont hand load). the detach mag is a pain ,Apart from that it is supurb .I have no idea how old the rifle is CHEERS MIKE[​IMG]