T3 Tikka Hunter T3X Fluted - scope base selection

Discussion in 'Valmet and Tikka' started by Quail_hunter, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Quail_hunter

Quail_hunter Member

Country Flag:
    Switzerland
    State/Region:
    DE Baden
    Hi
    I am new in the forum and just ordered and new Tikka Hunter T3X Fluted.
    I want to be able to change scopes using a Quick Release system.
    I will be using a 4-16X44 Vortex HST and a Burris Fastfire 3 red dot.
    The Burris comes with a picatinny/weaver base. I do not have yet a base and rings for the Vortex.

I am looking for advise from members on what base and quick release systems you have used successfully on a Tikka T3X without having to zero again after each scope / sight removal
    I wish to avoid a full length rail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    The best advice I’d give is: to use a full rail like a Warne Mountain Tech for Tikka. Reason: if you use a two piece system then your Burris Fast Fire will only mount in two fixed locations. This might not be ideal. A rail offers much more flexibility, regarding the position of the optic. Warne does make two piece pic bases for Tikka as well.

I’d use Warne QD rings on the rifle scope. They are available in 30 MM. This offers similar flexibility on the rail, regarding spacing etc., although it is perhaps less important as the scope can be drawn forward or backwards within the ringmounts to deal with eye relief.

There are several other brands available, but I find Warne to be top notch. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Quail_hunter likes this.
  3. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Quail Hunter,

I have two Tikka T3 SuperLite rifles with SS fluted barrels. I use Leupold Quick Release (QR) rings and bases. Leupold says there is no more than 1/2 MOA POI deviation removing and remounting a scope using their QR system. I have found this to be true. You will not have to re-zero. The Leupold QR rings and bases are superb examples of precise CNC machining and I highly recommend them. I also use QRs on most of my Sako rifles, which allows me to swap my Leupold scopes between rifles without re-zeroing if I previously have recorded the scope’s sight-in settings for that other rifle.

Welcome to the SCC Forum!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  4. Professor

Professor Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi all, I am new as well. I use Leupold QR bases and have had no issues. Eye relief is great and they zero in every time. In fact, I take the scope off for travel and pop it on when heading into the field. Never an issue.