Tikka 595 Good ideas for Aperture BackUp Sights

Discussion in 'Valmet and Tikka' started by Woodsman68, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Woodsman68

Woodsman68 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maryland
    I've been looking high and low for a simple tough set up for aperture sights on my 595 Whitetail Hunter. I'm having a hard time getting specifics about the factory receiver dovetail -
    Is it same as Sako ?- I see Sako peeps in online auctions.
    Is it same or close enough to CZ 527 ? - because NECG has some options for CZ.
    What are the standard dimensions of it ?.. I can;t find a spec or drawing online.

If I can't mount directly , I guess I 'll have to mount a picatinny rail and then use a peep on it. Just wanted to keep it simpler.

Thanks in advance.. and by the way.. I've had this Tikka for a while and stopped using it but am now motivated to use it more since I just returned from a trip to Norway and spent consdierable time in the shops talking about rifles and hunting with the locals. So I'd figured I'd join the Sako Forum..

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    No, the Sako peep sight will not fit on Tikka dovetails -- they are completely different. The CZ/Brno dovetail is more similar to the Tikka. I don't think they are interchangeable but someone else will have to tell you for sure.

If you mounted a Picatinny rail and put a peep sight on top of that, then the rear aperture sight would be very high and your front sight blade would almost certainly be far too low. Whether you could find a substitute sight blade high enough is questionable.

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The CZ dovetail is 16mm, so if your Tikka dovetail is the same it may work. Not sure if NECG uses a lug to fit in the scope ring slot or not, so that could nix that idea. The Williams Guide Receiver Sight for the Marlin lever guns is made to mount on a flat surface, which the Tikka dovetail is, so you can drill and tap your rifle to match the hole spacing & attach it directly to the dovetail. Stone is right that adding a rail for a clamp on sight will make it too high to mate with your front sight. Keep in mind that adding any rear aperture type sight "could" require a change in front sight height requirements. Brownell's has a chart & method to calculate front & rear sight heights so they are compatible. Any good smith should be able to come up with a good peep sight arrangement for you should this prove not to be a plug & play option.