Tikka 22-250 vs Winchester Mod 70 Stealth

Discussion in 'Valmet and Tikka' started by Guest, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Banned

Thanks to the great responses from my previous post, I have located a Baretta dealer in my area who has a Tikka Continental 22-250, 2003 year model for well under $600.
    Before I plunk my money down, I have some hesitation between the similarly priced Winchester Model 70 Stealth, same caliber.

Any commentators as to the better of the two varmint rifles???

Thanks,
    RangerAJ.
    Sua Sponte

2. Guest

Guest Banned

I need help getting to the group. What does it to an access accountif it doesn't work.
    Can any one HELP!!!

Allen
    [email protected]

3. Guest

Guest Banned

I hesitate to recommend the Winchester over the Tikka on a Sako forum (is that even legal?) but I think the Winny has a few advantages. I've never been a huge fan of detatchable mags in bolt rifles. A real floorplate design (steel if you can get it) is more rigid and--all else being equal--lends itself to better accuracy. If you think you'll need the extra firepower to defend against a massed assault of groundhogs then get a semi-auto. I hear the Tikka comes with plastic magazines in it's latest iteration. I recognize the advantages that can be realized with modern thermo-plastics but I no likey. I'm still trying to come to terms with synthetic stocks.

Both are well designed and well built rifles. Tikka may have the edge in QC over Winchester but the M70s are pretty good. Assuming both models are equally accurate, the Winchester has far more after-market doo-dads and gee-gaws available for it. Competent gunsmiths who are intimately familiar with the Model 70 are far more common than Tikka tuners. That's true in North America, at least.

The bottom line on any purchase as personal as a rifle: get the one you like.

4. Guest

Guest Banned

wuzzagrunt-

Many thanks!!!
    In sniper school, we shot the M24, and had all the laser sighting stuff most normal people only dream about.
    I'm now retired (maybe) and am hunting hogs in central PA on about 10,000 acres of collective farmland in Cumberland, Perry and Lebanon Counties. Most of my relatives live in Lebanon and most are "poor" dirt farmers. I think I'll at least give the SAKO Tikka 22-250 a try-got a good "gun show" price of well under $600 and can always dump it on EBay if need be. Thanks muchly for your input!

RangerAJ
    Sua Sponte

Allen J. Light
    Freedom is not free.
    Thank a Veteran today!