Three Sako Full-Length Full-Stock Rifles

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by icebear, Oct 20, 2018.

1. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Here are the three full-length Mannlicher-stocked Sako rifles in my collection. First (top in the group photo) is an L461 in .222 that was a GI bringback from Europe. I got this one from another member who advertised it here. It came to me with a 3x-9x Redfield Widefield "TV screen" scope, which I have since replaced with a 12x fixed-power Burris. The higher powered scope takes better advantage of the .222's accuracy, and I've got a place for the Redfield on an older Tikka whose factory rings are too low for most scopes. The other photos show it with the Burris. This is a pretty rare bird in the US. I don't think this variation was ever marketed here, but there are a few around - mostly GI bringbacks like mine.

Next is an L46, also in .222, currently wearing an early Sako rear peep sight. I've also had various scopes on it, but it's kind of fun to shoot it with the iron sights. This is a fairly common variation. I've never seen an L46 Mannlicher-style carbine, but I do have an L469 carbine (the slightly lengthened version of the L46) in .222 Magnum.

The last rifle is an L579 in .308, an uncommon variation. How I got it is kind of a strange story. I bought it sight unseen from an ad in the old Gun List. The seller was an old cowboy in Wyoming who had used it as a saddle gun. I sent the guy the money and an FFL copy. One day I got home and there was a long package on my front porch - He'd mailed the gun directly to me instead of the FFL holder. The gun was advertised as a Mannlicher style and I assumed it was a carbine. Imagine my surprise when I opened the box and it contained a (much less common) full-length rifle. The cowboy had had the front sight removed to keep it from chewing a hole in his scabbard, but he'd included it in the package and I had a gunsmith reattach it. I figured the period Balvar 8 in Kuharsky mounts would make a good combination with the odd rifle. The Balvar has a tapered crosshair and dot reticle, one of my favorites.

Here are the three rifles on a rack.
    3 Rifles.JPG

L461 with 12x Burris AO in Sako high rings
    L461 222-1.JPG

L461 222-2.JPG

L461-2.JPG

L46
    L46-1.JPG

L579 in .308
    308-1.JPG 308-2.JPG 308-3.JPG L579-1.JPG

2. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted