Three digit Bofors L61R

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Sean Hodges, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Was at Cabela’s in Springfield Oregon this morning stocking up for a fishing vacation I’m headed to next week.

I had to stop by the library to see what they might have even though my priority is my trip. I found that same L61R .30-06 I wrote about several months ago. The price is now $559. I snapped a couple of photos for those of you who might be interested.

In my humble opinion at $559. - this is a very good value for several reasons.

1. It is a pretty clean shooter overall as is. At $559 it would make a great backup, or a rifle for someone on a budget.

2. We talk about parts here frequently. Well there you go, at $559. - how could you go wrong given today’s cost and the lack of available Sako parts for this vintage.

3. It’s in a McMillan classic stock. Okay right there is $250-$300 all day long. Whom ever owned this Sako invested probably $450.+\- depending on the age of the stock. New these stocks are in the mid $500. range. Someone could pop the stock off and use it if they were trying to save weight or protect a really nice piece of wood, just sayin..

4. It could be re barreled into a multitude of calibers in all sorts of barrel configurations, for any given purpose.

I could probably go on with other justification but use your own imagination, and I’d bet you’d concur. If I didn’t have an extra already I’d be tempted myself. Right now I just want to go fishing.

Hope you’re all having a great weekend.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    deergoose likes this.

2. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Good advice Sean. Enjoy your fishing trip. If you are over in the high lake country please catch and release. (Just joking) We enjoy fresh trout, just had a nice big one for breakfast a couple of days ago. Nothing like a small fire, a nice willow stick, butter, salt, pepper and nice fat Rainbow. Course they are tastier in the fresh mountain air at a nice campsite. Sakojim.

3. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Thanks Sakojim, actually we do catch and release very frequently and use barbless hooks. We only keep enough to eat, I don’t like to freeze fish, although we smoke some here and there. We will do Paulina an East Lake for big browns and Kokanee in a few weeks. I’m doing northern pike and huge rainbows at a friends place this time. Been doing this trip for almost 40 years. Take care.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019