Thoughts on barrel rebluing L579 220 Swift

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by OldIronMan, Apr 30, 2019.

1. OldIronMan

OldIronMan Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    I realize this is subjective but I value this groups opinions. I have my own but I'll see what you all might have to say. Two of the three pics show the damage.

The rifle functions perfectly and is in no danger of further damage. Curious to know what you think about before/after value and concerns about the quality of rebluing.

Thanks !

Attached Files:

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The rifle is a "shooter" not a collectible, so rebluing it would enhance any resale value it has. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to blue the barreled action, as in it's present state the damage is a distraction to an otherwise fine looking rifle.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I agree that rebluing would not hurt the value of the gun, but it is unlikely to "pay" for itself in increased resale value. I'd recommend improving its appearance with an application of a good cold bluing solution. That "fix" won't be invisible, but it will improve its appearance somewhat and is practically cost-free.

However, in the end it is whatever pleases you. If it is important for it to have the very best appearance regardless of the cost/benefit then by all means have a good, professional bluing job done.

4. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Personally, I prefer things to be clean and uniform. I’d re-blue a Sako like yours in a heartbeat, depending on a few factors, which I’m sure you’ll consider.

That’s not to say I haven’t cold blue’d spots in the past to get by for a while. Sometimes it actually turns out pretty good and I’ve left it be.

You have nothing to lose by cold blue touch up until you can really decide whether you want to invest in a total re-blue. In the meantime you can shoot it and figure whether it’s worth it as a keeper or trade stock.

5. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Absolutely..... have it Blued!

Send it in and have a professional do it. I'm guessing $250 should do it.

A 220 Swift is a hot shell. Does it shoot tight groupings? If not re-barrel it.

6. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    If you know a good gunsmith who can reblue the gun without over-buffing, messing up the stampings, etc., it's probably worth having it reblued. Good bluing shops are getting harder to find these days, as EPA rules on hazardous chemicals have raised the cost of providing that service. And I've seen enough crappy jobs that I'd want to see some work, or have ironclad references, before commissioning a reblue. In the meantime, I'm with Stonecreek; some cold blue and bronze wool could make a big improvement. Be sure to clean the area thoroughly with degreaser. It also helps to warm up the area with a hair dryer, heat gun, or mini-torch. The heat promotes the chemical reaction that produces the blue color. You might want to try a couple of different brands of cold blue to see which one is the closest color match. There's quite a bit of variation in different solutions or pastes.

7. OldIronMan

OldIronMan Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Yes I agree, it's just a shooter so I don't have much to loose. It still holds tight groups so no problems there. I have several Swifts and I've never loaded them very hot. I had not considered the cold bluing as I've never done that. In fact, I've never had a gun re-blued. You're right that I have nothing to loose by trying really. I also didn't consider the over buffing problem so I'll be sure to bring that up if I have it done professionally. Thank you for your input.

8. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Allow me to expand a bit on the question of buffing. Often in the process of refinishing, overly aggressive buffing will result in rounded edges and worn-down markings. This becomes an issue especially on military rifles, where the markings are a major factor in value. Any refinished military rifle loses a lot of value compared to an original, but a good refinish is worth a lot more than a bad one. If you look closely at this photo of a refinished .22 pocket pistol, you will see that some of the lettering on the slide is worn down and not very legible.(Click on the photo for a larger view.) This is a result of excessive buffing. Some gunsmiths fill in the stampings and roll marks with modeling clay to prevent the edges from being rounded off.

When I acquired the gun, it had already been refinished. The original grips were junk, so I made new grip panels from koa wood. Unique M52 Left Side.JPG

OldIronMan likes this.
  9. OldIronMan

OldIronMan Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    IceBar: Duly noted, thanks.

10. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I wouldn't worry about the "overbuffing" thing. That can occur when the metal is pitted & rough and requires aggressive polishing to smooth the surface, but your rifle appears to only need a light buffing to remove the old blue. Your stampings should look as new if done with any common sense. If your bolt handle & bottom metal have retained their bluing without damage you may only need to do the action, barrel, & bolt stop/ejector housing, which should shave quite a bit off the cost. Good luck!!

OldIronMan likes this.
  11. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I had a barrel reblued by a local gunsmith. He takes the barrel and turns it in a lathe, just enough to give it the correct Sako look without buffing out any lettering. The barrel looks as good as Sako factory and you can’t tell it from any other Sako I have in the safe.

If you are interested, let me know, his work is exceptional...

OldIronMan likes this.
  12. Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    Kirk,

This wouldn't happen to be Dennis would it?

13. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    No, it was Rocky Cushman...

14. Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region: