Thoughts on 25-06

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Glenn Ford, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Glenn Ford

Glenn Ford Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Last weekend their was a deluxe model being sold that had been a topic of discussion. I missed out on that one. Although this isn’t a Deluxe model, the wood on this is sharp IMO. This was the second rifle identified as one where the Gunfather is the bidder. What’s a value on this? Thanks

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/864457510

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Glenn,

Some might consider the price at the top of the range for an AV Sporter/hunter but it is in fact a very nice specimen with a box. Good luck finding another. It’s a great not often seen caliber and the wood is fantastic. These models just aren’t as collectible as a pre72, but with time you never know. If I was specifically in the market I’d have to seriously consider it even if it’s perhaps at the top of the range. Best to you.

To add: one thing most people agree on with an AV is the stock design. They are typically very comfortable and natural. They fit most people very well. They have a palm swell which simply allows a very positive grip acquisition without any fuss. I have two AV’s and I love the way they both feel and shoot.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Glenn Ford likes this.
  3. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    The only thing I can see is that some jerko boogered up the screws. You should be able to replace them/ So now you have a decision to make. Other than the screws looks NIB with box and papers.

rick

Glenn Ford likes this.
  4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The barrels on these late A-V's were only 22.8" (580mm) as compared to the earlier 24.4" (620mm). A cartridge like the .25-06 greatly benefits from the longer barrel, so I don't regard it being as good a shooter as one with the longer barrel. For some people this may not be an issue.

I think at $1,300 plus shipping it is at the top of the range, regardless of its somewhat scarcer caliber. I suspect that if Gunfather buys it that (1) he has a customer in mind to whom he'll mark it up a few hundred, or (2) you'll see it being offered in a few weeks in a somewhat altered form with a much higher price tag.

Glenn Ford likes this.
  5. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Simply to make a respectful counterpoint, the basic difference between the two barrel lengths is roughly 100fps. In a general purpose hunting scenario on deer sized game at reasonable distance, this will be a non factor. I do agree for longer ranges a 24” or even a 26” barrel for predators or long range targets, the velocity could be of more importance. I suppose it is - as always, what is the purpose for the rifle going forward.

6. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The rifle is beautiful. Beside less velocity, short barrels can have more muzzle blast and flash. Powder also plays a role of course, specially with magnums. Browning's decision to use a 22" barrel on their Belgium made 264 proved to turn a lot of folks off. Sales were so low that they basically stopped production of the 264 in 1966 (7mm Rem. Mag had a lot to do with poor 264 sales). But like I said, that's a very good looking rifle.

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Right. Maybe not even as much as 100 fps. Like I said "For some people this may not be an issue."

Sean Hodges likes this.
  8. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Strongly agree, thanks.

9. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    That is a really exceptional piece of wood, as nice as you're likely to find on a standard grade Sako. At least two bidders now think it's worth somewhere in the $1300+ range. I just paid almost that much for a similar rifle in a rare caliber (7x64), with wood not quite that fancy and no box. So, if what you want is a Sako in .25-06 and you're into wood, it would seem to be in the ballpark for value.

10. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    I even wrote the serial number down a few days ago. That way when I see it on GI in a week or so pushed by the Gunfather for $1999 I'll know which one it was. And yes, you can buy new OEM screws. I picked up a couple on fleebay a year or so back just in case.

11. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Muzzle blast and flash can be reduced in short barrels with a faster burning powder. You might actually improve the velocity as well, because the slow powders that show great velocities in test barrels require long barrels to get max velocity. I've worked up loads for .30-06 carbines that have very little "donner und blitzen" and still deliver plenty of power to do the job on game.

Unless you're shooting pronghorns at extreme ranges, a couple of inches of barrel length shouldn't make any practical difference in hunting performance. If bullet and powder are matched to the gun and the game, all will be well.

12. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    That is exactly what I plan to do for a Sako manlicher I picked up a year or so ago. Nice looking little gun but its in 7MM. Nosler book has some faster powder for descent velocities. I just know that 20" barrel will have some bark. LOL

13. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Pretty nice shape, heavily waxed. There are a few dings. Left edge of forearm, and it looks like som corrosion on rt rear corner of floorplate and front of trigger guard. An 1100 gun in my book, and I'm looking for a 25-06.

14. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    You got that right!

15. RangerAV

RangerAV Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maryland
    Glenn, I only just now noticed your interest in the .25-'06... but in case you didn't yet scratch that itch I'll mention I have an AV in the "for sale" Trade Corner section here. Original stock (one hunt) plus a synthetic with aluminum bedding, original box, rings, etc.

Cheers, -Chris