Sako TRGs This and That

Discussion in 'Sako TRGs' started by Guest, May 27, 2004.

1. Guest

Guest Banned

I'm back after about a year or so. I recently purchased a new Sako TRG-42 rifle, one of the best factory made, long range target rifles. This $3,265.00 msrp rifle is shipped in a cardboard box, mine has a slight wear mark on the barrel. I voiced my opinion to Berretta (who ships $500 shotguns in a hard plastic case) reps at the NRA show this year, they could have cared less. But he did add that I have purchased one of the last, since .338 lapua caliber has been discontinued. Before anyone goes out to buy one of these sportscars of the rifle world, they need to be aware of the cost of basic needed accessories. Sako bipod= $561.00, muzzle brake= $241.00, picatinny rail adapter= $301.00, extra mag=$225.50. I think I smell the need for after market parts.

Also, I purchased one of the few Sako pistols in this country. Does anyone know why Sako dropped the TriAce line from manufacture? It seems to be a very high quality pistol. BTW this pistol is shipped in a Sako form-fitted hard case.

2. sakoverein

sakoverein Well-Known Member

Keep us posted on the performance of the rifle. I have seen a few write-ups on them, but want to hear it from someone that isn't getting paid to say it. I guess I will keep saving my pennies if I want to buy one... WOW!

3. Guest

Guest Banned

I'm currently saving up for a leupold Mark 4. I am told these rifles are capable of 3/8" to 1/4" groups. I'll let the group know what I get out of Black Hills and Lapua factory ammo.

4. Guest

Guest Banned

I don't know if you load your own ammo, but I stronbgly recommend it. If
    you have same exact weight on bullets, powder etc, you can only blame
    yourself for not shooting 1/4 groups

>From: "PA.sakohunter"

5. Guest

Guest Banned

$561.00 for a bi-pod? Sounds like the folks at Sako/Beretta have the valve on the laughing gas tank open a couple of turns too far. It seems odd, too, that they put all that engineering into building a precision rifle and then offer a clip-on pod. A Harris pod that mounts to the forend of the stock (where it belongs) will set you back about a C-note (give or take).

The only complaints I've heard about the TRG-42 is that the trigger ass'y is a bit fragile for hard use. This was from a Swedish military sniper (not personal experience), so we are talking "military hard". His unit field tested a bunch of 'em and they all had problems. However, if you intend to use the rifle for long range target matches, you will likely never encounter a problem. Even still, if you conpare the Sako with the Accuracy International .338 Lap sniper system, the Sako is an absolute steal.

PS: if you shoot at a public range, shoot without the muzzle brake. The side blast from the Lap is sufficiently extreme to provoke your bench neighbors to throw ammo cans at you. Have fun!

6. btc624

btc624 Member

Pasakohunter, I highly doubt they will discontinue the trg338lm here in the states, The 338lm and 308 are the most popular. I have just purchased the trg22 from euro-optics in PA and he told me that the only one the is not being imported is the 300wm. This is a sako distributor who sold over 70 trg's last month, I'm sure he is in the know. Now the trg-s that might be another story but the TRG 338lm is gaining in popularity by leaps and bounds. check out the snipershide website. Huge following.

7. btc624

btc624 Member

If you think the sako accessories are expensive wait till yah reload for this animal. 100 pcs lapua brass------$240
    100 scenar bullets 250gr -----------$70
    1lb of vv n160--------$45 but you better pick up 2lbs cause you will only get 70 rds to a pound,
    Redding Dies $100
    Dont even think of factory ammo--- this cost $5 per shot reloading comes out to $1.17 ah shot.
    I had my heart set on a 338lm but afterdoing all the research i decided to go with the 308. Heres a good link for anyone interested http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek069.html