The Times, They Are A-Changing

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by icebear, Sep 9, 2021.

1. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Just saw a Shooting Times article touting "21 Great New Rifles for 2021." Of the 21, exactly one featured a wood stock and blued metal. All the rest had synthetic stocks in black, "tactical gray," or camouflage. The rifles were a mixture of hunting rifles, long range target rifles, mostly in 6.5 Creedmoor, and AR's. Seems like that's the trend these days, and if you look at the Sako and Tikka web pages, you'll see more synthetic stocked guns, displayed more prominently, than in past years

Now, synthetic stocks have some practical advantages. They are more stable than wood, completely waterproof, usually stronger, and usually cheaper to make. That said, I'll stick with wood, for the elegance, feel, and general pride of ownership. I do not own a single sporting rifle with a synthetic stock. The only synthetic-stocked rifles I have are those of military origin or design - Valmet, FAL, AR, Mini-14, and a Steyr SSG sniper rifle. And unless I suddenly decide to go hunting in a rain forest somewhere, that's the way it's going to stay.

The single wood-stocked rifle in the article was a pretty neat item - an Uberti repro of an 1885 Winchester High Wall single shot, decked out in English style as a "Courteney Stalking Rifle." It features express sights, a Prince of Wales grip, checkering, and what appears to be pretty nice dark walnut with a contrasting forend tip. Also looks like color case hardening on the action (probably cyanide coloring process, not real color case).
    MSRP is around $1700. I'm (almost) tempted.

Uberti_Courteney_Rifle.jpg

sakojim likes this.

2. James Leeper

James Leeper Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    I still like my old wood stocked and blue Sakos. Nothing like the Vixen, Forrester, and Finnebear love them all.
    Have a great day.
    Jim

deergoose and sakojim like this.
  3. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    What's that big rail looking thing on top of the barrel behind the rear site that looks like a bunch of weaver bases welded together? Just kidding icebear. On a serious note, I too have only one rifle and one shotgun with a synthetic stock in my large accumulation of wood and blue long guns. That is just in case I make a rain forest hunt, and hunting in the rain is my least favorite method.

deergoose likes this.