The Story on the Sako Battue

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sako parts' started by Guest, Jan 28, 2000.

1. Guest

Guest Banned

The Sako Battue has never been out of production. It has seldom been imported to the U.S. because it is a specific design for a specific style of hunting that originated in France. The French, like many Europeans, drive game toward the shooters. A lot of hunting in France is done on farms that are criscrossed by small lanes lined with trees or shrubbery. So, a hunter standing by a lane is likely to be faced with a shot on a running deer, at fairly close range, that is moving fast and only visible for a couple of seconds. The carbine with a battue rib was developed to give the French hunter a very fast sight picture on a moving target. This style of rifle has never caught on in the United States, especially since scopes have become so widespread even for short-range hunting.If you look at any European catalog for Sako, you will find the Battue going back into the 80's and possibly the 70's. Tikka makes one as well. It just doesn't sell here, that's why it's hard to find and Stoeger doesn't usually import it.icebea

2. Guest

Guest Banned

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif][/FONT]Thanks Ice Bear!
    as you are very knowledgeable about the Sako Luger would you mind adding a message about those

3. Guest

Guest Banned

Sorry, no such thing. The Finnish Army Lugers, which were in service for about 50 years, were originally obtained in the 1920's from DWM in Germany (plus a small batch in the 30's from Mauser). The original caliber was 7.65mm, since under the Treaty of Versailles Germany was not allowed to produce pistols in 9mm Parabellum. Many of these pistols were later retrofitted with 9mm barrels made by Tikka.icebear

4. Guest

Guest Banned

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif][/FONT]About that Sako Luger. Sako really hasnt made any Lugers (or ParabellumxB4s as we called them) at all, but they have had connections in WWII when VKT made so called "Lahti" pistols or L-35 pistols for the army. It closely resembled Lugers, but its mechanics were quite different.
    Also, Stoeger had in the past some stainless steel Luger pistols made for them in USA - I believe they were named "American Eagle" or something like that. But beware. We got few examples of them and they are pure crap. They really cant be shot with even with the most mild ammo. We tried one of them with 300m/s ammo and it a) jammed with every 3rd shot b) was broken after 100 shots.

5. Bernie’s Dad

Bernie’s Dad Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
  6. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The Guns International listing is an example of something that drives me bats. I'd love to get my hands on a Sako Battue, or better yet a Tikka Hirvester (a Tikka M65 or M55 with a battue rib). But every time I see one for sale, it's in some ridiculous magnum caliber that is completely unsuitable for battue shooting. I mean, who in his right mind would pick a .300 WinMag with a 20" barrel for a short-range shot on a running deer? I cannot understand why anybody would want such a thing except as a curiosity. The noise, muzzle blast, and recoil from such a bazooka would be overwhelming. Oh well, I've found several of my holy grails lately, maybe a Sako or Tikka battue in an appropriate caliber will magically appear. Or even a Tikka Hirvester. The name appears to be a bilingual play on words. Hirvi is Finnish for moose. "Hirvester" would seem to mean "moose harvester."

By the way, reviewing this thread, which was started in 2000, I realized that this was a post from the old Sako Collectors website and I was the one who wrote the original post. All the old forum posts have automatically been relisted as written by "Guest." Thanks BD, it's not every day somebody revives something I wrote 20 years ago.

Old Hippie likes this.
  7. Bernie’s Dad

Bernie’s Dad Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    At your service. I sometimes read old posts just to learn. Trying to catch up to youz guyz!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Hippie likes this.