THE SAKO LOVE AFFAIR: How Did Yours Begin?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Mongo44, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Spaher

Spaher Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    “since” not dince… spellcheck helps & hurts

2. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Mine started when my Dad bought a 579 Deluxe 243 in the early 60's. I think my Dad bought it for me to pass down to my younger brothers when I left home. I am 8 years older than the youngest. He had to have bought it for us kids because it was too fancy for him. He was an ADL type guy if you know what I mean. I used to ask him why he bought pickups with no air conditioner and a 6 cylinder with a 4 speed with low being a granny. I'd say to him, you need one of those big new V8 with air and a automatic.....he would just look at me. So my Dad is at fault for my Sako crazyness.

3. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Indeed. I do recall getting them, but they seemed to come in clusters. I've bought 5 from SCC members, 4 off 24HCF, a couple off of RFC, a few from gunshops and a couple at gunshows. Those purchases occurred in last 15 years. I have four that I haven't shot yet...that needs to change. Soon. Maybe it's a cognitive issue, not my vision.

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    One of the problems you eventually face when acquiring great hunting rifles like Sakos is that they deserve to be hunted. When your acquisitions get up into the teens and beyond you have a tough time picking which one to hunt with and giving them all a fair chance. Kinda like the Sultan with two dozen beautiful wives, it's hard to spread yourself that thin (although it might be fun trying).

Bernie’s Dad and d31t like this.
  5. dustinga

dustinga Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    My teen years best friends dad had a great collection of Bofors marked Sako rifles. My friend was given a deluxe 270 for his 16th birthday. It was the most beautiful rifle I had ever seen. Extremely blond stock and mirror like bluing (and he didn't even LIKE to hunt). The day I turned 18, I went to my local gun shop and placed an order for a 25-06. That was in 1999. Model 75 arrived about 2 weeks later. Opened the box and said out loud, "what the hell is this". No blonde stock no deep brilliant bluing. And there was no Bofors stamp. That's when I started doing research and saving money. Today I'm in the high teens with Bofors marked rifles, and I still have that model 75 -06. In fact up until last year it was my go to deer hunting rifle. Replaced by a sweet shooting, tack driving, standard grade 270.

6. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    I bumped this post to see if a member may still be around..tho the topic does have a romantic attraction that can’t be avoided.
    I’ve told the story before , my Pops too, was the one who exposed me to the Sako rifle, tho mostly by accident. As a teen introduced to the woods and hunting, the desire to hunt deer was growing. We only had one deer rifle between us, so a friend lent my dad another to use. He handed Dad a leather bound soft case with a Buck embossed on the side. We opened it up and there laid a De Lux L61r .270 win! Beautiful and shining, engraved and perfect. We looked at each other kinda wide eyed. The action was the slickest I’d ever felt. Everything about it was amazing, and there was no way in hell that either of us was gonna try to take that gun hunting. To scratch it would be unspeakable. He took a shotgun and I took the 30-30! Lol
    Many years later I finally stepped away from the Ruger I’d hunted with, Winchester M70’s had my attention for a bit. I’d actually forgotten about that Sako for a while. My first Sako was a faded orange M72 Forester, topped with a Weaver 2-7 . The first 5 rounds of Remington Core loc .243 almost touched each other and hid under a nickel! I was in love.
    I sat once and listed all the Sako’s I’ve had since that one, it was over 30. Some came and went, some of the nicer ones I’ve kept. Some I’ve wished I had back. Hell! Some I’ve sold and bought back!

Bloo

7. d31t

d31t Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Bought a Tikka M695 7 mm Rem Mag after watching a herd of deer in a field 300 yards away while holding a 30-30. I didn’t want to be under armed again. Then a friend bought a Sako and all of a sudden, the Tikka was looking for a friend. Along came a plastic stocked with bottom metal Sako 85 Finnlight to compliment a wood stocked bottom plastic Tikka. When I retire, maybe I’ll get a Sako with wood and metal. Both of my rifles are sub MOA shooters, so I’m not in a hurry.

8. d31t

d31t Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    It’s like picking a golf club in my opinion. I’m perfectly OK leaving the sand wedge in the safe if it means I’m not in a sand trap. OK, maybe not the best analogy….

Just saying it’s nice to have the right tool for the job if you need it and it doesn’t make me sad if the job doesn’t call for a particular tool. The problem of course is when you have TWO of the same hammers.

9. Hunter25

Hunter25 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Pretty simple for me. Even though my last name is Belgian, my blood is predominantly Finnish.
    My whole life I wanted a sako for that reason alone. Never had enough money when I was younger raising kids and only purchased super deals.
    I have 3 sako rifles now and 1 Tika.
    Strangely I acquired all of them in like new condition for about half what they were worth.
    My AV in 300 win Mag I picked up for $900 at cabelas. Like new condition, muzzle brake installed, leupold scope, in a laminated original stock. It also came with a McMillan stock in original box that I guess they didn't know what it was. I sold the McMillan the next day for $400 online.
    My Tikka is a laminated stainless I got used like new for $600.
    Quad for 450
    And my latest the 67 production Finnbear I've posted about.