• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

The Sako 7x57 Mannlicher now on Gunbroker

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

It's nice to see a fine Sako used as intended instead of shut away in a safe ("gun jail") just because it is scarce, and valuable in monetary terms. More power to you, Spaher!

Gentlemen,
What does the 7 X 57 Caliber compare to , flat shooting, recoil, effective kills/animal group? and is ammo easily available? Pardon my ignorance.

P.S. will somebody invent a dictionary that helps you look up a word you don't know how to spell!!

Gentlemen,
What does the 7 X 57 Caliber compare to , flat shooting, recoil, effective kills/animal group? and is ammo easily available? Pardon my ignorance.

P.S. will somebody invent a dictionary that helps you look up a word you don't know how to spell!!
Not my place to answer the question on the 7x57, however the program I use for my PC has a grammar feature that corrects most of my mistakes on both spelling and punctuation. On your main page most of us use Bing or Google and there is a search engine spot that all you have to do is type in a WAG at the word and it usually gets it right and has the meaning also.

Bucktote, The 7X57 is a VERY old cartridge (like most of us!!) German design, Paul Mauser, etc... It is the base case for 257 Roberts and 6mm Remington. Mr. John Rigby renamed it a 275.
Ballistically, it's a 7-08.

I bought a very used and abused barreled action that will be a winter project (after hunting season) Mauser action, Not a SAKO, that I will use to create a truck gun. Just what I need, another deer rifle!!!!

How's your season going? I keep meaning to call, always at the wrong time,
I took a 6 point management buck last weekend. Not using a SAKO wither, I used my other truck gun, Mossberg 350 Legend..

The main difference ballistically in the 7x57 ("7mm Mauser") and the 7mm/08 is that the slightly smaller case of the 7mm-08 can achieve similar velocities due to being allowed higher pressures (in factory loads) than the 7x57, which is held to modest pressure under SAAMI standards due to there being plenty of rifles out there that are over a century and a quarter old chambered for the round.

Also, the 7mm-08 generally uses lighter bullets at higher velocities while the 7x57 typically uses heavier bullets at lower velocities. For many years the only American ammunition for the 7x57 used a 170 grain bullet at a real world velocity of probably around 2200 fps. That has changed somewhat, but American factory ammunition for the 7x57 is still held to a lower SAMMI max pressure. Handloaded in a Sako or other modern turnbolt, the 7x57 can be as flexible as you wish in terms of bullet weight and boosting pressures to higher, but still reasonable, levels.

It has always been a popular cartridge in Europe, both for hunting and for military rifles, and in South America it was chambered in lots of military rifles. The later European 7mm, the 7x64 Brenneke, is basically a necked-down .30-06, which is in turn almost identical to a .280 Remington. The 7x64's larger case (and higher SAMMI pressure standards) allows a bit higher velocities than the 7x57, but what one can do so can the other. (Don't believe me? Just watch Spaher's posts of the outstanding whitetails he takes with both calibers and at similar distances.)

The 7x57 is also the parent case for the 6.5x57, which can be phenomenally accurate in a good rifle. I once had a Sauer 200 in 6.5x57 that shot half-inch groups all day with factory ammo. That was a standard-grade hunting rifle. Performance is on par with the 6.5x55 Swedish. Both the 7x57 and the 6.5x57 also come in rimmed versions for doubles, drillings, combination guns, and single-shots.

The 6.5x57 is one of my favs. Extremely accurate in my sauer 90. Great killer with nosler accubonds. Jack connor wrote a classic piece about the 7x57: "big punch in little case". After you read it you will ache for a 7x57.

Latest posts

Back