The Indian

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by Navin, May 19, 2018.

1. Navin

Navin Member

Country Flag:
    India
    State/Region:
    other
    Hi friends I am Navin from India good to connect with all. I have just bought myself a Sako L597 Forrester stamped bofors steel.
    Would like to learn about this sako rifle as it is my first one .

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Welcome, Navin! You are our first member from India, at least to my knowledge. There is lots of general information about your rifle here on the forum, but if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

I assume that you do or will hunt with your Sako. Tell us about what hunting is like in India in 2018. I know that it must be much different from the colonial days when India was as famed a world hunting destination as Africa.

3. Navin

Navin Member

Country Flag:
    India
    State/Region:
    other
    Thank you Stone Creek yes India has changed a lot from old British Days , these days we are allowed to hunt wild boar and Blue bull only . We have lots of game here but now only to shoot with camera .

4. Navin

Navin Member

Country Flag:
    India
    State/Region:
    other
    I have just picked up this L597 forrestor In 308 it is in good Nick not fired much but not stored well and she is missing the extractor assembly on the bolt . I require the extractor assembly but on net it shows only for L579 Forrester. Are they both have similar intechangable parts

5. Navin

Navin Member

Country Flag:
    India
    State/Region:
    other

Attached Files:

Unclekax likes this.
  6. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Those are quite some teeth on that boar! So you can also hunt Nilgai, but not Axis (Chetal), Sambhar, or Blackbuck? I guess that you have to come to the U.S. to hunt those Indian species:confused:.

The extractor for any Sako L579 or A-II will fit your Sako. The "Sako-type" extractor is popular for converting the Remington 700 action, so fortunately at least a couple of different companies make extractor kits (extractor and spring) for converting the Remington action. These extractors will also fit the original Sako and it is not difficult at all to install them without any special tools.

The problem is getting gun parts shipped out of the U.S. since most suppliers will not ship overseas due to possibly running afoul of U.S. laws restricting export of firearms and parts.

I have no idea, but it may be easier for you to get the part from Australia. Perhaps some of our good Aussie members might chime in to give you some help.

7. kj60

kj60 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Yes there are lots of things moving India <> Australia. My business actually - but not sure re gun parts. Can try to see what can be done, but know its very difficult getting firearms out of India - some of those old British era rifle are so so nice. But if you go to someone who has an import licence and see what goes, we can take it from there. BTW which state do you hail from? and with the high number of leopard attacks in the Himalayan states I wonder if the ban is still reasonable - tho of course I leave it to Indian nationals to decide that one.

8. Navin

Navin Member

Country Flag:
    India
    State/Region:
    other
    Hi guys I have ordered extractor assembly from brownwell
    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...s491-m591-l691-l61r-m90-75-i-v-prod30955.aspx
    As they are the only site which is shipping to India my question is m591-l691-l61r-m90 does all these rifles also have the same bolt assembly and will this fit in my L591 Forrester.
    KJ60 I am from North state is Haryana close to the capital Delhi .
    It is difficult to export lots of paperwork I have just sold a westly Richard 318 accelerated Express in mint condition due to non availability of ammo here in India and we can not import ammo online

9. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas