The "Coltsman" series of rifles!

Discussion in 'Other firearms built on Sako actions' started by paulsonconstruction, Jun 14, 2018.

1. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I bought 2 Coltsman rifles years ago to make 2 custom rifles from the actions. The first is a 220 Swift, the second is a 6mm Remington...

115_2332-1_zps932128b0.jpg 126_4262_zpsb9cf50f4.jpg Sakos.jpg

Rocky and Branxhunter like this.

2. Unclekax

Unclekax Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Superb looking stocks on those two.

SAKOL57 likes this.
  3. model 52

model 52 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    As a new member on the forum, I have been doing a lot of reading of past threads to gain info. This morning, I came on this thread. While I can not give a lot of enlightenment I can with
    absolute knowledge share this information which was briefly mentioned in the post;

In 1957, when I was 14 years old, I was given my first center fire hunting rifle, a Colt 57 in 30-06. As I type this, its sitting on my bench so I can share as much info as possible. When I was given this Colt 57, I was given a choice in the Colt or Winchester (forget the model, but its crying shame I did not pick a Winchester Model 70 !). Anyway I picked the Colt in the deluxe model. To my knowledge the only difference in the Standard Colt 57 vs Deluxe 57 was checkering on grip and stock forearm with black plastic front stock cap and plastic grip cap, no white spacers.

Here is all the info stamped on the bbl/action;
    Receiver…..FN Made in Belgium its not marked but I know its a Mauser Action
    Serial # 68XX Which also matches Bolt # 68XX

Barrel Top Side…”The Colt 57”-cal.30/06
    Colt Pt.F.A. Mfg Co. Hartford Ct USA

Stock …..Reasonable nice grain walnut, Checkering and fore end cap and grip as mentioned above. Butt Plate, Plastic with COLT and the Rampant Colt Pony image. No escutcheons of any kind anywhere on stock. No cross bolt/bolts.

Sights…. No iron sights. I was also given a new Weaver K3 with Lee Dot reticle

Condition….Blue and wood as clean as when I got it. Weaver Scope Blue did wear poorly

So this confirms that all Colts were not Sako, but some models FN Mausers. No indication anywhere who made the barrel ?

Now, knowing what I know today, 61 years later, I really wish I had picked a 1957 Model 70 and that it was still in perfect condition today sniffle sniffel

Model 52

kirkbridgershooters likes this.
  4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I just purchased a Coltsman (L61R in 30-06) from Rodger @ Sako source a couple weeks ago. Took it apart to clean & inspect and discovered it has a flat steel plate vertically imbedded in the stock that the rear of the recoil lug rests against, much like it does on the Sakos with the crossbolt. The Colt logo escutcheons are, like you said, a little further back than the crossbolt would be on a Sako & are purely decoration. The "Deluxe" Coltsmans were built by Sako, so the crossbolt would be the same on them. My L57 Coltsman was glass bedded by someone before I acquired it, so I can't confirm what the recoil lug inletting was like originally or if it also had a steel insert. Anybody had theirs apart to see?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  5. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Just another interesting side note. Found an ad online from September 1958, probably from a gun rag, for the Coltsman rifle. Said it was available now in 243 Win, 308 Win, 30-06, & 300 Magnum from your "registered" Colt dealer. No mention of "Colt 57" or any other calibers. Probably the only cals they offered at first. Said they had the "exclusive ZEROLINE rifling". So evidently Colt used some proprietary rifling process or was just using a marketing ploy. Anybody ever heard of that type rifling?

6. model 52

model 52 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Out of curiosity, I just pulled the stock on the Colt 57. Thee is no steel plate that the recoil lug rests against. Just a wood inlet for the recoil lug. While its out of the stock, I also checked for any further markings on barrel bottom or receiver....none

Model 52

7. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Thanks, Model 52. So, we know the early Mauser action Coltsman did not have the steel lug in the stock. My early Coltsman is on a Sako L57 action, so the jury is still out on what it's recoil lug inletting was like, but I'm guessing it didn't have the steel lug. Why would one remove it when bedding? BTW, I'm curious about the Colt 57 reference you make. Is your rifle stamped or identified in some way as a "Colt57"?

8. model 52

model 52 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Yes, as I mentioned in my first post in this thread the top of the Barrel is 'exactly' marked as follows;
    ”The Colt 57”-cal.30/06
    Colt Pt.F.A. Mfg Co. Hartford Ct USA

Model 52

9. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    My L57 Coltsman, which is from the same time as yours, isn't marked with the "Colt 57" logo. Makes one wonder why some rifles were so designated & others not. I'm guessing the "Colt 57" stamping is a rare bird, as I have yet to personally see one. Makes me think it was initially a marketing term that somehow faded out after the rifles proved slow to move & then "Coltsman" for what ever reason was the "brand" they went with. As I noted from the 1958 ad the term "Colt 57" was not anywhere to be seen. Seems these Colts can be as enigmatic as Sakos! Maybe others here have "Colt 57's" & can add to our knowledge! You're probably much better off with your Colt than with the Model 70. The Win 70 is at every gunshow in prolific numbers & are nothing special, but to see a rifle like yours is a very rare event. Plus it's a better rifle in almost every regard, IMHO.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  10. Branxhunter

Branxhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
  11. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I think that the "Colt 57", which was on the FN Mauser action, was the earlier of the two and that the "Coltsman", which was on the Sako actions, succeeded it. But like any model changeover, both were likely being distributed at the same time. Perhaps someone like Douglasstwo has some catalogs which might shed some light on this.

douglastwo likes this.
  12. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Here's an ad out of a 1958 hunting magazine. I'll look for more an get back.

Attached Files:

13. model 52

model 52 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    WOW !!!, 'The Colt 57" Cut Sheet. I have never seen these......THANK YOU for sharing this.
    And $149.95 for my deluxe model. You made my day.

Model 52

14. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I love the place the ad tells you to go for more information: "For the name of the nearest Registered Colt Dealer call Western Union and ask for Operator 25".

I also like the Colt address: Hartford 15, Conn. Who else remembers postal "zones", which were replaced by zip codes; and how about that four letter state abbreviation?